Another Noob VPN Question

If you can access one of your computers thru ZeroTier, then just open a browser on that computer and point it to IP address of Hubitat hub. You shouldn't need to nor can you install ZeroTier on hub.

1 Like

Haven't used Zerotier for years after PiVN but if I remembered correctly. There's a setting on the server side for local access if you don't install the Zerotier app on the device you want to access.

I think I just have a mental block that's preventing me from seeing how this works. I have an always-on PC (e.g. it runs Sonarr on port 8989 and I can reach Sonarr's GUI through ZeroTier) that I can see. Hubitat is on a static local ip. How do I bring up a browser that allows me to enter Hubitat's ip?

I don't see it. Understanding that you are removed from your experience with ZeroTier, do you think that setting is in ZeroTier's control panel or in the instance installed on the remote PC?

Thank you both @Navat604 and @stephen_nutt for resurrecting this old conversation. I think I can get there but it will take an "A HA" moment.

I am not sure how ZeroTier works. I use Wireguard. With Wireguard active on a remote computer, I simply enter the Hubitat Hub's IP address in my browser of remote computer.

I also use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a home computer remotely and then can use browser on computer sitting at home to access the Hubitat Hub's IP address.

Either option works.

EDIT: I have no idea what Sonarr is.

EDIT 2: I just Google'd Sonarr and it seems like it's software to access files on your home network. Therefore, it won't help to get access to Hubitat Hub. You need to use one of 2 options I mentioned above.

Remote Desktop may be that A HA key for me. I'll try to set it up when I get home.

When my VPN works, I also use Wireguard and it works perfectly for me to access my hub... until it doesn't.

When you connect to your home network, I assume that your connection goes thru your home network before going out onto the "interwebs". Therefore, if on remote computer and connected thru ZeroTier, if you go to whatismyip.com, you will get the IP address assigned to your home modem/router. If that's the case, you should be able to simply enter the IP address of your Hubitat hub in the remote computer and it will connect to it. No need to get RDC involved.

Sorry to hear that Wireguard doesn't work well for you. It has been flawless and fast for me. I actually utilize a split tunnel on my work computer so only when i go to IP addresses of my hubs, my Home Assistant device, or the desktop computer I connect to using RDC does it use the VPN. Any other connection to "interwebs" simply uses my work's connection.

Thank you. I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with Wireguard - I just have a weird setup. Sorry if this is boring, but to elaborate, I use a variant of OpenWRT on my router that uses a Sprint (T-Mobile) hotspot as the sole means for reaching the "interweb". A local Pi is running PiVPN with Wireguard. On the client side, Wireguard on an Android phone or tablet that is using T-Mobile for internet access makes the Wireguard connection fine and I'm in the home network without restriction. But, the gotcha is that that same Android device connected over a random internet access point will not pierce the VPN.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on networking and mobile ISP's to figure it out. But my guess is that there is some kind of double NAT from an outside ISP but not in the case of going T-Mobile to T-Mobile.

You didn't ask :grinning: but I thought I'd explain myself a little rather than being mysterious.