Another hub lockup

Personally I'd like to see less work on "new" features and more work on making things stable. Less releases at this point would be good. There is no doubt that hub updates have started issues that were not there before....even with 3rd party apps.

1 Like

Obviously this will always happen as only "staff" will be across the detail in the product roadmap etc.

It's a risk we all take. :slight_smile:

Suffered my first hub lock today (while a 3 hour drive away from home until Friday). Irritating. I do think - from an ease-of-use perspective - there should be an easy way to reboot the device while remote (if it is at all contactable). Maybe when the app comes up and says "timed out" as it fails to connect to the dashboards, it could provide an option to attempt a remote reboot?

This is not going to help you at present but I have my hub plugged into a WeMo outlet.
As long as my router at home is working I can turn off/on the WeMo outlet remotely to get things working OK.
Not an elegant way of resetting the hub but it does work for me.

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks, will definitely set this up using an old tp-link smart plug I have lying aorund. As you say, doesn't help right now lol. Also, it's not particularly elegant to just pull the power anyway. It would be better to have a controlled remote recycle. Plus agree with many comments elsewhere that this is really not acceptable performance. The only pieces of custom code I have are the tp-link driver and Magic Home drivers (neither of which are officially supported I recall) but nevertheless for this to lock the device up, with no standard ability to remotely reset, is irritating.

1 Like

I've had hub lockup issues as well.
It would lock up every 3 to 4 days.
I disabled the Chromecast (beta) app and things have settled down.
Do you have either the native Chrome cast or Alexa apps running.
Other posts have mentioned these as being problematic.

1 Like

Ah yes, I do have Chromecast app installed. Maybe it's that.

Is there a poe adapter we can use ?

You mean to power the Hub?

I think this has been mentioned before. I seem to recall someone talking about using a POE adapter to power a C5, but I'd have to do some digging. Are you thinking of being able to power cycle it from something like a Ubiquiti switch by turning off the POE?

S.

Yes that’s correct.

I’ve yet to experience locks ups, more of slow downs.

I use Cisco.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CQRX2H

2A would be cutting it close, depending on which model of Hubitat hub you are using.

FWIW my C4 is rock solid with this PoE adapter. The C5 claims to only require 1A, and is microUSB so there are other options there.

I have the C5 model. WIll this be a problem since it's 2amp and the c5 is a 1amp ?

Shouldn't be. More amps on the supply side is a good thing.

I've never metered a C5 to see what true peak amp usage is. But if the supplied power adapter is 1 amp (?) then anything above that should be fine.

This is good to know.

Maybe I run a network cable from my basement to my main floor and power this over POE. At least I get the advantage of my UPS that's hooked up to my switch, and possibly better coverage of the house since it would be on the main floor......

+1 for this. If your switch is 'managed' then you can also remote into it to power cycle the hub.

Just bought one from Amazon Canada. Different model.

I have several VMs running at home, and was trying to figure out the reboot POST command for the HE hub, so that I could schedule a cron job to "safely" reboot the hub periodically... Can anyone post a one line curl command to initiate a reboot on the hub? I believe I tried something like:

curl -X POST http://{hubitat_IP}:8081/hub/reboot

or something similar, but just get a 404 response. I'm obviously missing something, but not sure what.

I already have the HE hub plugged in via a smart outlet that's controlled by my ST hub for emergency HE hub reboots, but would rather have a cleaner reboot instead of hard power cycling it every time it has an issue.

Try without the port :8081

tested, and working http://[hub_ip]/hub/reboot