Another hub lockup

Odd....I thought it was "normal practice" to do periodic "maintenance" on your hub. From the looks of this thread it doesn't seem to be the case .

"Periodic" Daily or every other day

"Maintenance" Reboot hubs to clean up any cache files.

"Normal" Accepted Regular Practice.

I haven't experience any hub lockups, but I adhere to what I thought was normal practice.....similar to having to put gasoline in a car.

OK. But same platform or you've upgraded. They've made changes, so what's to say there isn't a lockup occurring due to a platform change that the code hasn't been updated for?

I think if you just start disabling, you will possibly find the issue faster than you are guessing would be required.

2 Likes

You keep your car when it runs out of gas!? I trade it in for a different make when that happens. :wink:

2 Likes

Not when I've only had 2 locks in 3 months... Anyway, I understand your point, but that is not the path I'm willing to take. I bought the hub to USE, not leave the most important things disabled for weeks at a time.

I'm going to think again about splitting some of the user code off to my development hub, and review if there are any more drivers/apps I can do away with without losing major functionality.

If neither of those help/work, I'll be switching to something else (hopefully) more stable. That would be annoying considering how much time and energy I've put into writing user apps and drivers.

As it is now, I would rather have the periodic ST cloud outages than complete hub lockups. At least the cloud outages come back on their own. If the hub locks up when I'm out of the country for weeks on end, that could be VERY bad.

Whilst I do agree with this up to a point, I would be quite happy to do this on perhaps a weekly basis. It has to be done in a controlled manner though. NO just pulling the power. Perhaps something in rule machine to issue a reboot command.
What this doesn't do though is find the route cause.
Mine was great before 2.0.9. This build, I think anyway, has introduced something which is causing the issues people are now starting to see.

1 Like

I would say that is NOT normal practice for a consumer oriented hub/appliance...

But even if it were considered "normal", then Hubitat should add an auto-reboot feature... Like reboot cleanly at 3am every night (or some other configurable time).

2 Likes

The Reboot cycle takes less than 3 minutes, I have 3 hubs, with 3 settings tabs open, usually right at bedtime, I'll click reboot on all 3, verify all 3 came back up and working, then go to bed....

Pretty simple, not rocket science or complicated....

No one said it was complicated. That isn't the point at all.

I go out of town for work weeks at a time. Your saying it should be perfectly "normal" for me to have to VPN back into my hub when 5000 miles away to manually reboot it weekly?

Absurd. If the Hubitat team made that the "official recommendation" I would rip them out and throw them in the trash.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I'm in Lanzarote at the moment (very windy BTW) and this is giving me something to do round the pool. :smile:
Shouldn't have to check in to remote dashboard 4 times a day to make sure it's not locked up AGAIN.

1 Like

It actually is.....I keep my laptop on 24/7, after a few days the cache builds up to where pages begin taking forever to load, and routine messages from firefox saying X is slowing down your browser would you like to stop it.

After a PC Reboot, it all goes away and back like it should be.

If you follow the Vera forums, there are NUMEROUS complaints from users exactly opposite of this issue, they are complaining because the Hub reboots TOO OFTEN, and the Luup Engine Reloads too frequently.

Most all businesses (enterprise) usually have a maintenance window at which reboots occur (usually overnight) to prevent the exact lock up you're experiencing with their Point of Sale Registers.

Businesses, yes. Consumers, no.

Vera is a buggy POS, so that is a poor comparison. How often do you reboot your router/hub/switches/NAS/Tive/Cable box?

I never reboot any of my appliance based gear for "cleanup". Only reboots are for security and firmware updates. That is how good consumer gear works.

Your hub is running/operating during this time.....correct?

Is it perfectly normal to have you car engine "running" for extended periods of time and not put gas in it? Change the oil?

My cable box has a default REBOOT window (that I cannot even change) at 4 am, it does a refresh, dumps data gets a new program guide daily, the router does this as well with refreshing the NTP server, and DHCP clients, I currently don't have a NAS but if I did I would make sure to periodically reboot as well.

My car has a gas gauge and an oil change reminder / guidance.

My hub doesn't have that equivalent, and Hubitat has never made a reboot recommendation. So I don't see how your analogy is germane at all.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken @bravenel has stated more than once that periodic restarts should not be necessary. I believe it was compared to a band aid.

4 Likes

I think we are getting side tracked here with what the real issue is.
People's hubs are locking up and no errors can be seen in the logs leading up to the issue. In my case very 2 to 3 days is too much in my opinion.
BTW. My car won't run without petrol either in the same way my hub won't run without electricity. :wink:

1 Like

You can send an http call to reboot if you want. Not a hard thing to automate since you have two hubs.

1 Like

Laying flat.

1 Like

Mine are both mounted vertically. Wonder if that would help your situation?

Just pull up the resource monitor and see if theres a memory leak. Oh wait..... :unamused: