Android - Geofence not working

Thank you for that perspective and for validating that I made the right choice with choosing Hubitat. I haven't begun to investigate what it takes behind the scenes to make things compatible. I just sponge off of guys like you that take that time to dive in. Sounds like a lot of time and effort.

Hub vendors like Hubitat stay afloat because of guys like you. Without community support, I don't think they could survive. I'm just hopeful Hubitat doesn't go the way of so many other automation hubs. Silence... like on this subject makes me a little nervous.

1 Like

While the silence is not exactly textbook PR, I expect that the above statement is still true. Just my guess, but the crew has earned enough credibility in my book to have faith.

2 Likes

I'm having the same issue on my Samsung S9. What's odd is doesn't seem to know when I exit the radius or enter the radius. I know this doesn't help but maybe worth mentioning if someone is actually working to fix it. If I exit the radius the status indicates I'm still inside the geofence. If I take the slider and expand then reduce the radius the status changes to outside. Exact same behavior when entering the radius. Expand then reduce the radius it registers the correct status.

This is the same experience most of us have had with version 1.6.7 Moving the slider reacted the same- it appears to fix it. The only way to get by now (until they update it) is to join the beta program, update Hubitat and then drop out of the beta program. The beta version you install (that works... most of the time) will stay installed.

For android, I found that you click the join button (it may stick at waiting to join), go out of the play store, make sure you swipe to close it too. Open the play store again, check for updates and it should show that Hubitat needs updating. When the update completes, go back to the play store and drop out of the beta program.

1 Like

@bobbyD can we please have am update. The issue has been outstanding for three months now andnwe have no update.
There are a number of us here that are paying users and wpuld live to hear how things are going.
Said in the most humble way.
Thanks in advance,

Anthony

2 Likes

The toughest issues to resolve are those issues that don't affect everyone or cannot be replicated internally. Geofence is one of those features. Our engineers are actively investigating and working on bug fixes, but I do not have an ETA when they will be released.

The mobile app doesn't require a subscription of any kind, so users with or without the add-on services have identical experience, whether good or poor.

Thank you for your patience.

2 Likes

The beta version seems to have fixed the issue, just push that version out to everyone while you're trying to figure the cause of the issue

4 Likes

"Reports of my exit are greatly exaggerated."

I'm in the Android beta, and it has started repeatedly reporting my exit even though I'm a mile away from the fence. Hourly, maybe even more frequently for a couple days it seems. Let me know if any logs would help. I'm assuming this is a sign of progress on android.

Any way to get an ios beta?

Hasn't fixed the issue for me.. the geo fence is still horribly unreliable. I wouldnt have anything critical dependant on it. Iยดve just found other options which I have found to be more accurite and reliable.

For what it's worth it seems like 1.6.8 build 128 works well. If anybody is having issues with it, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, that worked for me after it stopped updating when clearing cache and data didn't.

1 Like

That's the build I'm on and it has worked flawlessly on Android 11 and 12 on a One Plus 9 and Android 11 on a Galaxy A32.

1 Like

@BrenenP & @scunny - what settings are you using? It's completely unreliable for me with a pixel 5a (Android 12) and pixel 6 pro (Android 12).

Delete the device in Hubitat, uninstall the app on Android, install 1.6.8 build 128, login and register the device. Test it by looking at current states and moving the radius or map marker to see if it updates. Make sure battery settings are "unrestricted" and "allow all the time" is selected for location permissions.

2 Likes

In my case on both versions of Android I have location allowed all the time and on the battery Allow background activity. I've never had to go through the moving the map marker gyrations.

1 Like

What about on this screen?

All off, no delay.

Im on 1.6.8 build 128. The geofence isn't working sny better. For example in the screen shot below (takrn 2 minutes ago) I am the top left.I haven't been home for an hour. My wife top right, hasn't been home since Sunday morning.

I completely agree. Not working reliably at all for me either.

From reading other threads here on the forum, it seems like geofencing works properly in version 1.6.3. I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Try the steps I listed. I was having issues with it not reporting as well until I uninstalled it and set it up again. Does the map say inside or outside? What does it say in logs? Does it change if you move radius or pin? You can manually test it just by moving the pin to where you are.

@jonathan.lorber did you try what I posted? All of my advanced settings are off with no delay, but I haven't tested those.

1 Like

It's reporting, but just not consistently.

1 Like