Android - Geofence not working

Yes, just got 1.6.7 Build 128 so we will see if it works correctly when I leave the house here in a bit.

2 Likes

I updated to the latest beta and geofence is working for me now, at least to some extent. Before this update the app would show me out of the geofence but would never indicate being outside. It now shows being outside of the geofence and updates accordingly. It also appears to be working in background mode but I need to do some more testing on that.

Let's hope this update brings us back to a functioning geofence and it sticks for awhile.

1 Like

Well 1.6.7 Build 128 is not the magic bullet I am afraid. Whoever is working on this app should revert their changes and start over from pre 1.6.7.126. Prior to that update, it was working REALLY well for me. As pfmiller said, 128 did bring back some functionality as in it did see me leave my geofence area but not until just over 20 minutes after I left.

1 Like

Do you know if the app was in background mode when it updated?

I am surprised no one from HE has commented.
3 of their staff have been tagged and in my experience they are usually on the ball and comment when tagged.

2 Likes

Thanks all for your feedback. We are investigating issues with the recent release, which has corrected the problems we have experienced internally. Please uninstall the app and install it again (you will need to reset the geofence) to see if that helps. Keep the feedback coming, we are monitoring this thread.

2 Likes

I ended up leaving the beta program and installing the production version.. it was a super weird experience though as Google Play kept telling me it would take "a while" to leave the beta.

I think what made it worse is the production version and the beta version are both 1.6.7.. I was expecting the production version to have a lower version number (not noticing the "Build XYZ" obviously)..

Anyway, now that I'm back on production version I'll probably stick with it and make sure it's working 100% before trying the beta again. I really only use the app for presence - which is important since it kicks off arming cameras/etc when I leave... which is to say I probably don't need anything in the 'beta' that's not already in production fwiw..

Yes, I just "reenrolled in Beta and got the "fix" Build 128. I will test it out later too cold here to fool with now.

1 Like

Logged out. Cleared cache. Cleared data, Logged back in and re-setup the geofence.
Presence now working as it should.

1 Like

I am not in the beta and since getting .126 presence has NOT worked. I hope you are working on this!

I'm not in BETA and since the 1.6.7 build .126 update, presence doesn't work for me either. As soon as I open the app, it suddenly recognizes where i'm at. otherwise nothing.
Have logged out, cleared cache and logged back in and re-setup geofence but made no difference.

Pixel 4XL. first of week on Dec update, as of Thursday on Jan update.

Been on .128 since last night and presence working fine again on Pixel 5 Android 12

1 Like

Note 20 ultra, out 12 miles from home, presence says still at home even though I'm out side the geo-fence..

Top of both presence is from the app.

1 Like

I have entered and exited my geofence more than once today and it has worked every time including in the background.

1 Like

I meant to post this earlier. As Bobby suggested, I uninstalled and reinstalled .128, Location permissions are set to Always Allow and yes it did see me leave my GeoFence area but it did not send the notification until around 10 minutes after I left the area. I thought it was quicker before but I am only using it to send a notification at the moment and it is not triggering anything else.
For reference, my device is a Note 20 Ultra running Android 11.

1 Like

Could you please confirm that you don't have delay exit enabled in the "Advanced Presence Options" under Settings >> Advanced ? 10 minutes is an eternity.

Confirmed that all options in the Advanced page are not turned on and the Delay in minutes is set to 0. With that said, I am almost positive I DID have the "Validate location on network change" turned on before so I just turned it on again and will report back here shortly.

1 Like

@bobbyD Well that didn't work. I left my house at 2:05 pm and returned at about 3:02 pm. It never showed I left my Geofence area which is set to the smallest area it can go. So turning on "Validate location on network Change" even though I was connected to my WiFi when I left seems to have broken it completely instead of being delayed for 10 minutes like this morning. In the app permissions, The two allowed permissions are Location - Allowed all the time, and Physical activity.

I had to uninstall the app and reinstall making sure to create a new device during installation. Geofencing is working again but now I have to recreate all of my webCoRE pistons that subscribed to presence. Oh well, at least it's working... until they break it again.

There is something wrong every time there's an update the way to make it work is to uninstall, reinstall, and recreate the presence device. This is why relying on the app for presence is a really bad idea. Yeah, it's part of my equation, whenever it happens to work, but. I think relies upon it alone.