Android auto Support?

Just wondering if this has crossed your mind? It looks like smartthings just updated there app to support this.

Quickly Control SmartThings Scenes & Devices Fromโ€ฆ: https://youtu.be/Bk1aT0_PqUk

2 Likes

It's being discussed here..

I do this now with Echo Auto, and voice commands. I also use the HomeKit integration to use Siri, and finally, on my motorcycle I use a SharpTools.io dashboard just for home-automation while on the road. I can open/close the garage door, and control HSM.

1 Like

@armand, how well does your Echo Auto work? I have 2 of these that after several months of frustration I took out of my cars and put them away.

It seemed like the connection to my phone was so spotty they were essentially worthless.

Flawless. I love them. The app must be running though. A lot of iPhone users think that if they force kill apps, their phone runs better, which is untrue... only a small piece of an app resides in memory, and the OS swaps out apps that are. It authorized to run in the background, so killing apps breaks functionality and doesnโ€™t actually improve or speed up anything.
I am not sure how effective Android is, as I write code for android but itโ€™s not a daily use device. As I understand it, Android lets anything run in the background, and if you run out of memory, apps get unloaded, so if you have Android, it could be that is your problem.
But for iPhone, all three of mine work great.

The only challenge is when me and my wife are together, we never know which phone the echo auto will pair to. It usually pairs to the last connected device, but not always.

You have more patience than me. I had the Echo Auto in my car less than a week before I pulled it and returned it. I couldn't find anything that it could do that I couldn't already do using the Alexa app on my phone other than the use of its 6 or 8 microphones.

Back to thread topic, I use Tasker to create/manage a supplemental dashboard with big buttons so I can access apps that Android Auto won't let me access normally including interacting with HE. However, I am using Android Auto on my phone, not my in-dash car stereo.

I like the approach that you are using. How are you gaining access to the supplemental dashboard from Android auto? I'm also using AA on my phone.

Tasker adds a small always-on-top button when Android Auto opens. That button allows me to open the supplemental dashboard . The button is the Tasker logo circled in red.

Pushing that opens this Tasker dashboard:

With it, I can:

• Open Hubitat App
  • Open Texting App
  • Open Garage Door (using HTTP Request to HE).
  • Open Chick-Fil-A app. Yes, I go thru their drive-thru for breakfast enough to justify this button. :smile: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:
  • Close Tasker Dashboard and return to Android Auto

Check out this thread here where @mike outlines what he did with Tasker that takes it to a whole new level.

3 Likes

Thanks. That looks slick. Your implementation gets me thinking that I have a "toolbox" option on my galaxy device that puts a "button" on the screen. I'll look at that as well and the thread you pointed to. Tasker is so powerful and it amazes me what people do with it.

If your hubitat is linked to google assistant, under setting in Android Auto, you can add a a shortcut under customize launcher where you can type in a voice command that will execute when you press the shortcut icon in your car.

1 Like