Amcrest/IP Cam control

Thanks for the above, has anyone tried to set an HTTP motion alert from the camera, or from Amcrest's surveillance pro software using Maker API to capture it and activate a virtual motion device?

1 Like

That's the only thing I want from my Amcrest cameras and I haven't figured out a way to do that other than using Tasker or Home Assistant so I am following this thread......

Right now they’re running through surveillance station on a Synology NAS which then sends the HTTP to Hubitat, I am not hopeful about getting the cameras to send it directly, but can’t hurt to ask. Lots of folk here smarter than I am on this stuff

1 Like

@stephen_nutt @eabyrd1506
@ihatetheohiostatebuc

Apparently this has all been done.
Many thanks to @rob121 who has put together a neat way to generate endpoint from Amcrest cameras to RM of Hubitat (via a RPI).

2 Likes

Thanks! I'll take a look at this during the upcoming weekend.

It looks like it is similar method that I do currently using Tasker and notifications; it just uses email.

I must admit that I'm a neophyte on linux, and the instructions are somewhat sparse. I haven't got it working yet, but I'm working on it.
Also, the email interface on the Amcrest cameras is something that I use already - so adding another address on the "To" line, is very elementary.

While I was hoping to find / develop a direct amcrest app/driver I have not had time to do so. I have setup blue iris and have been very impressed with it as well as its integration with Hubitat..... I do wish however it came in a Linux flavor a d dependant on windows...

Yes, when I said Blue Iris
"hogs" a machine I mean you pretty much have to dedicate a windows system to it, unless you have a TON of ram and a very beefy cpu. Speaking from experience..

If it's helpful to folks, I put together a driver for the Amcrest ASH26 floodlight camera that uses digest-based authentication:

It uses the standard Amcrest API, so I assume will work with minor modification across different models.

best,
Dave LaPorte

1 Like

Found a newer revision from September 2020 (https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/articles/4411097924621-Amcrest-HTTP-API-SDK)

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VM2Tb-q4PhmZuvLxSk5OwWInbFxUuTR-/view?usp=sharing)

It seems TinyCam supports Amcrest IP cameras based on a quick Google search. Once in tinyCam you can use it for motion and object detection (person, face vehicle, pet) to trigger a virtual device in HE. You can also use the Web server of tinyCam to put live video streams into your HE dashboard using the image tile...

https://tinycammonitor.com/support.html

Shot in the dark—anybody using Amcrest Video Doorbell that has figured out a way to capture the doorbell event? I use BI to capture motion — works great. But can’t figure out how to capture the doorbell event itself in HE. Stumped.

I am using Amcrest doorbells and have MQTT broker running on rasp pi that is subscribed to doorbell events which can be motion or button press. There's a generic MQTT driver available for Hubitat that acts as the MQTT client to connect to the broker on the rasp pi and subscribes to the events. It's worked flawlessly. Sorry no detailed instructions. Might point you in the right direction though.

Super interesting. You able to point me to the MQTT broker you’re using on the pi?

I forgot about this component on pi also.

Using mosquitto as broker.
I may have modified the code for the Hubitat MQQT driver too. I'm still looking for the original code to see what I added. Check out this thread though...I think that's where I found what I needed.

...especially these 2 posts

1 Like

Also recommend "MQTT Explorer" - very good MQTT Browser..

1 Like

Just to throw my two cents in on Amcrest NVRs. I have two, a HDCVI style and a IP POE style. Both have gone out for different reasons and I've have to replace them. I'll be switching over to Blue Iris next time as I can replace components in the box. The issue is I have 8 HDCVI cameras and associated cable to replace when I do. I've not had issues with the cameras themselves, just the NVRs.