Ambient Weather Station Driver/ App running

These AWS app log messages are reporting that Ambient Weather's API server is not allowing a HTTP connection and the AWS attempts to re-queue another HTTP request for your weather data. This HTTP connection refused error happens from time to time to many Ambient Weather users and appears that Ambient Weather servers are not robust enough to to provide an API response every 2 mins and your hub is working too hard to request these duplicate requests. I have my polling frequency set to 5 minutes and still see these HTTP error messages, but must less frequently.

I would recommend trying a longer poll duration, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes.

I plan {hopefully} to re-write AWS in 2021 and hopefully eliminate the resources AWS has on the Hubitat server.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Love the app BTW and will go with your recommendation for a longer poll duration. Im using your App through the Hubitat Package Manager so the beauty of any potential changes you make is that I should see them quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Levahj,

The version you are running now is a crude port from ST to HE with little optimization for the HE platform. I am migrating many of my devices and apps to HE ever since ST went completely rogue with their new mobile client, development platform/hosting changes.

This will consume me for most of Dec, but after the new year, along with losing the Covid-19 quarantine weight gain, I will take time to re-write many of my apps and place all the updates in Hubitat Package Manager, which definitely simplifies installs/updates.

Stay safe, and 2021 will be a much better year than 2020 for so many people!

I am also a ST convert. Probably a month after you moved. You may have remembered me over there asking you questions about stuff :slight_smile:

You enjoy your Holidays and I agree 2021 will be a much better year for all!

1 Like

The app works well for me. Is there an easy code edit to turn off/disable logging? There is so much info it makes it difficult to see other activity om my hub.

@KurtSanders I noticed an update in the Hubutat Package Manager and it fails on install with the following:

Hubitat Package Manager

Error Occurred During Installation

An error occurred while installing the package: Failed to upgrade driver https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KurtSanders/STAmbientWeather/master/hubitat/devicetypes/kurtsanders/ambient-weather-station.src/ambient-weather-station.groovy.

Is this just me or are others seeing this also? Hub C7 ver 2.3.0.116

Dear @jonathanm8,

I was able to update and not seeing this HPM error. @capritzl did an Ambient Weather Update via HPM update and it installed for him in his feedback post for the updates and the below thread in which our conversation on this update occured.

Can you turn on the Enable Debug Logging in HPM in Package Settings preferences and see what the details for the failed to update might reveal when you try again?

It looks like it was already turned on but different error this time. I might reboot it when I get home and see if it helps.

Error Occurred During Installation

An error occurred while installing the package: Failed to upgrade driver https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KurtSanders/STAmbientWeather/master/hubitat/devicetypes/kurtsanders/ambient-weather-station-remote-sensor.src/ambient-weather-station%20remote-sensor.groovy.

Update: Odd, I rebooted and now all is happy when checking for updates.

No Updates Available

All packages are up to date, click Next to return to the Main Menu.

1 Like

Glad to hear, this was an easy fix!

Yep, just for S&G's I did a repair and it worked also. Guess the hub was still "sleeping" when I tried to update it the first few times.

Repair complete

The package was successfully repaired, click Next to return to the Main Menu.

1 Like

Maybe the wrong place to ask but, is there a way to "port" data to a Hubitat Dashboard tile? Great app that I stumbled on and thought I'd also see if anyone was able to use the data in any rules using the Hubitat system. Thanks

Not sure what is desired here, but all the real-time data from a network connected Ambient Weather model is available via RM for HE to process.

As far as storing the weather data porting or exporting it from RM outside of HE, I'm not sure, It might be better to ask your question in a RM thread. Perhaps one could send the Ambient Weather data via RM http to a Google Spreadsheet?

There are other non HE applications for accessing one's Ambient Weather data and storing it for processing on Ambient Weather's Website for 3rd party applications.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion Kurt, I was just trying to figure a way to get, maybe a rule in HE to, for instance, turn a bulb on in the garage if the outdoor temperature fell below a certain temperature. I can do rules, I just haven't figured out yet how to "address" it in HE. I see the values in the event log but guess I need to learn how to parse them to use in a rule. Not a problem for you, just me poking around. Just happy to see values showing up. Thanks for replying and especially for the app!

That light temperature home automation automation is very easy to do in HE's RM or 'Simple Automation Rules' app. Here is an example using HE's built in 'Simple Automation Rules' App. You have to install 'Simple Automation Rules' from the HE's APP's (Link to Install/Use Doc)

Here is one example of using HE's 'Simple Automation Rules' to turn on a selected light when your Ambient Weather Station outside temperature is equal to or lower than 32 and turn it off when it exceeds 33.

Super, I had set up a notification app yesterday. Do you know if all parameters (IE "Total Rain" ) are able to be accessed that way.

Depending on the Ambient Weather Station model (AWS), HE andwill have access to ALL the reported weather values that it generates. You can check the AWS values that are being reported in you HE devices page. Please note that not all AWS models report & generate the same values as my AWS WS-2902C below:

• baromabsin : 28.56
  • baromabsin_display : 28.56inHg
  • baromabsin_real : 28.56
  • baromrelin : 29.26
  • baromrelin_display : 29.26inHg
  • baromrelin_real : 29.26
  • city : A City in, Ohio
  • dailyrainin : 0.23
  • dailyrainin_display : 0.23 in
  • dailyrainin_real : 0.23
  • date : Sat Dec 11, 9:33 AM
  • dewPoint : 59.31
  • dewPoint_display : 59.31°F
  • dewPoint_real : 59.31
  • dewpoint : 59.31
  • energy : 12.5
  • eventrainin : 0.52
  • eventrainin_display : 0.52 in
  • eventrainin_real : 0.52
  • feelsLike : 62.6
  • feelsLike_display : 62.6°F
  • feelsLike_real : 62.6
  • feelslike : 62.6
  • hourlyrainin : 0
  • hourlyrainin_display : 0 in
  • hourlyrainin_real : 0
  • humidity : 89
  • humidity_display : 89%
  • humidity_real : 89
  • humidityin : 53
  • humidityin_display : 53%
  • humidityin_real : 53
  • illuminance : 15
  • lastRain : Sat Dec 11, 3:09 AM
  • lastRainDuration : 1 hours, 25 minutes
  • lastSTupdate : V5.0.6 Tile Last Refreshed at Sat Dec 11, 9:34:30 AM
  • macAddress : 84:F3:EB:67:9D:D2
  • maxdailygust : 12.5
  • maxdailygust_display : 12.5 mph
  • maxdailygust_real : 12.5
  • monthlyrainin : 1.83
  • monthlyrainin_display : 1.83 in
  • monthlyrainin_real : 1.83
  • motion : active
  • power : 2.9
  • pwsName : AWS
  • scheduleFreqMin : 30
  • secondaryControl : nullWind is 2.9 mph SW at 9:34 am
  • solarradiation : 15 W/m²
  • temperature : 62.6
  • tempf_display : 62.6°F
  • tempf_real : 62.6
  • tempinf : 66.6
  • tempinf_display : 66.6°F
  • tempinf_real : 66.6
  • totalrainin : 158.33
  • totalrainin_display : 158.33 in
  • totalrainin_real : 158.33 :white_check_mark:
  • ultravioletIndex : 0
  • ultravioletIndexDisplay : Low (0)
  • unitsOfMeasure : Temperature: °F Height: in Wind: mph Barometric: inHg
  • water : dry
  • weeklyrainin : 1.69
  • weeklyrainin_display : 1.69 in
  • weeklyrainin_real : 1.69
  • wind : 2.9
  • windDirection : 220
  • windPhrase : N/A
  • windSpeed : 2.9
  • windVector : 220
  • wind_cardinal : SW
  • winddir : 220
  • winddirection : SW
  • windgustmph : 4.5
  • windgustmph_display : 4.5 mph
  • windgustmph_real : 4.5
  • windspeedmph : 2.9
  • windspeedmph_display : 2.9 mph
  • windspeedmph_real : 2.9

Also, if you want to access all the custom attributes (like Total Rain, Wind, etc), then you will need to use HE's Rules Machine App as in the example below. I would recommend that you consider using the attributes like 'eventrainin' or ' * dailyrainin' for the amount of rain in inches that has accumulated since it started raining or for today since midnight, respectively.

1 Like

Yeah, I see that. Thanks so much, you have been a great help. Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Hey Hubbers,

I'm having the darndest time trying to install the AWS app. I've got it from HPM and I've generated a new API key. When I enter the key I keep getting the same error "Unauthorized". What am I doing wrong?

I will PM you for assistance