Ambient Weather Not Refreshing

@thomas.c.howard I deleted the virtual device, deleted the App, I upgraded the app and device code. Re-installed the App. It created a child device. I watched for over a couple of minutes but I did not see any changes in any of the values.

Can you post the (past) logs for the app and device? When it initializes, it will tell a lot of information that is relevant to your issue.

@thomas.c.howard It still shows the same error that I posted up at the top of this thread. I cannot find any devices with a duplicate DNI.

app:14292019-04-10 04:06:25.853 pm errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: A device with the same device network ID exists, Please use a different DNI on line 93 (updated)

app:14292019-04-10 04:06:25.810 pm debugInstalled

app:14292019-04-10 04:06:25.799 pm debugUpdated

app:14292019-04-10 04:06:22.030 pm debugGot stations: [[macAddress:EC:FA:BC:07:F8:91, lastData:[dateutc:1554933900000, winddir:319, windspeedmph:4, windgustmph:9.2, maxdailygust:13.6, tempf:28.9, hourlyrainin:0, dailyrainin:0.14, weeklyrainin:0.14, monthlyrainin:0.14, totalrainin:20.72, baromrelin:29.57, baromabsin:24.65, humidity:98, tempinf:69.4, humidityin:32, uv:1, solarradiation:106.19, feelsLike:24.5, dewPoint:28.41, lastRain:2019-04-10T20:59:00.000Z, date:2019-04-10T22:05:00.000Z], info:[location:Home, name: South]]]

I was able to reproduce this by installing the app if the child device (called Ambient Weather Device) still exists. The way the code works is this:

1. When it initializes, it creates and associates a child device
  2. The Network ID is coded to be AWTILE-

The error being thrown indicates that there is still a device in your system with that Network ID (i.e it was not deleted properly).

Take a look at all your devices and verify there is no child device with that Network ID.

If it is still broken, something is amiss in Hubitat.

A possible band-aid to get it working:

1. Under Advanced go to the ā€œ<> Apps Codeā€
  2. Select ā€œAmbient Weather APIā€
  3. On line 93, change

addChildDevice("CordMaster", "Ambient Weather Device", "AWTILE-$station", null, [completedSetup: true]);

to

addChildDevice("CordMaster", "Ambient Weather Device", "AWTILE2-$station", null, [completedSetup: true]);

Note: This will not fix the underlying problem; a rouge device that is not deleted properly

Tried all that but no change. I now see a new error.

app:14292019-04-10 05:02:23.144 pm errorgroovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Too Many Requests on line 130 (updated)

app:14292019-04-10 05:02:22.733 pm debugSet CHRON schedule with m: 0/1 and h: *

app:14292019-04-10 05:02:22.127 pm debugInstalled

app:14292019-04-10 05:02:22.118 pm debugUpdated

app:14292019-04-10 05:02:19.596 pm debugGot stations: [[macAddress:EC:FA:BC:07:F8:91, lastData:[dateutc:1554937260000, winddir:49, windspeedmph:5.4, windgustmph:9.2, maxdailygust:13.6, tempf:26.6, hourlyrainin:0, dailyrainin:0.14, weeklyrainin:0.14, monthlyrainin:0.14, totalrainin:20.72, baromrelin:29.61, baromabsin:24.69, humidity:98, tempinf:68.5, humidityin:32, uv:0, solarradiation:72.79, feelsLike:20.34, dewPoint:26.11, lastRain:2019-04-10T20:59:00.000Z, date:2019-04-10T23:01:00.000Z], info:[location:Home, name:Brighton South]]]

Ok, weā€™re getting there. Just watch it an see if it updates in the next three minutes without an error. That last error is because the Ambient weather API has a max requests per minute.

Also, with debugging off, the best place to look for updates is on the device (not app) page. Look at the events. The time stamps should correlate to one update per minute.

Well I have tried everything I can, rinse, repeat, repeat, rinse, and everything in between and it still does not refresh. If I create a rule I can get it to refresh.

EDIT: Error seems to have gone away. Don't see any refresh still.

@thomas.c.howard I wanted to let you know that the error has gone away. The refresh seems to be working but it is at a 5 min. interval and not the 1 min. it is set to.

1 Like

Good to hear. This could be a limitation of the Ambient Weather device. Example: wind updates every 5 seconds (per configuration) but temperature updates every five minutes...

Ok great! Thanks for all your help.

I have fixed some issues and added many attributes to the Ambient Weather Device.

I moved the refresh rate from the parent to the child device is the which is the proper place to have it.

If you want to try it out Hubitat-Ambient-Weather/BETA at master Ā· sgrayban/Hubitat-Ambient-Weather Ā· GitHub

I am getting the same refresh issue, is there updated code, the GitHub link above seems to be dead.

Thanks
Matt

The GitHub link in the post above yours is not the driver thatā€™s discussed in the rest of this thread.

Try the link to the driver thread referenced further above, and then the GitHub link in that thread.

Edit: also I wonder how many user accounts scott grayban has in this forum :thinking:.

I updated the driver and app code and it is still not refreshing, should the app and driver be uninstalled then re-added or is this a known issue.

Thanks
Matt

This seems to be a server side issue. Ambient API hasn't been refreshing since the beginning of the stay at home orders. I'm guessing there's something wrong on their server and no one around to fix it.

I use this alternate driver and it hasn't been working for the last two weeks either.

The above appears to actually be his regular account, which I believe that he requested be anonymized and more or less deactivated after fallout from a misunderstanding with me. Sorry, everyone? :grimacing: His Inovelli account (both here and there) appears to have had the same done to it, presumably by Inovelli's own request, as I assume that the employee they dismissed, apparently for treating people in the exact way I warned him about in both public and private messages to no avail, was him. That I swear I did not have anything to do with. :slight_smile: (I should also publicly state that I have never had anything against him and think his contributions to the community have been a net positive and would welcome him back if he chooses to do so personally.)

2 Likes

I have successful polls from the Ambient servers (using my driver) as of this morning. Including a manual refresh just to confirm. The date matches and the data seems accurate to our weather outside.

Of course I never got a response from Ambient about some way to "test" them or get a more detailed message to provide to users if their servers were offline. Their Facebook group does not mention anything up front about the server problems anymore. So maybe they finally got this fixed?

I will watch mine today too see if it refreshes on it's own.

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying, Robert. I noticed some of that discussion here you mentioned but wasnā€™t aware Innovelli had taken action against one of their employees as described in your link to their forum.

@Quantumchaos your best bet when having issues with a community-developed driver or app is actually to follow the advice mentioned above:

Since every community driver can be a little different, if the developer has a release thread for their driver, posting in that thread both increases the likelihood of the dev seeing your question in the first place, and also saves othersā€™ time from trying to figure out which driver is even being discussed.

In your case, I think itā€™s still unclear whether youā€™re using @thomas.c.howardā€™s driver or @snellā€™s.

I got a few socket puppets here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like