Ambient Weather Device

Heh. Well, I will have to keep those options in mind if I ever replace mine. I got it for a reasonable price, coded a driver for it, and have had good luck so far.

I have an Ambient weather device. Does this Ambient Weather device driver and app still work okay? Does it inject forecast data as well? Thanks.

I installed the app and the driver. When I go to the app page I see this:

So I'm guessing that no matter what I set the interval for (e.g. 2 minutes), it will run every 5 minutes. It's hard to tell if I am running the latest version as I don't see any versioning numbers. I followed the link at the top of the page.

Looks like @anon81541053 deleted all his HE apps/drivers

@anon81541053's Ecowitt driver link still works from his thread.

Yup I use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do

Fixed

Hi,

I'm new to Hubitat and I'm looking forward to all the possibilities this community enables. I'd like to use your code, but I'm not sure how to implement it. If it's not too much of a noob question, could you explain how to add your code to my HE?

Thanks!

Not thomas... but it is not too bad of a process:

1. Go to the link for the driver. If it is on github (as the one at the start of this topic is) make sure you select the Raw version of it.
  2. Copy the URL of the raw .groovy file from your browser address.
  3. Go to your Hubitat's webpage.
  4. Go to the link for "Drivers Code" in the list on the left, under the Advanced section.
  5. On the Drivers Code page select the New Driver button (top right).
  6. Select the Import button in the top row.
  7. Paste the URL you copied in step 2 into the Import dialog box and select Import.
  8. Make sure the code you wanted is now showing in the code window and select the Save button.
  9. Go back to the Devices page (hamburger at top left, select Devices from the list of links).
  10. Select the Add Virtual Device button.
  11. Enter a name for the device, then select the driver from the dropdown menu for Type. User-added drivers are towards the bottom, so scroll to the end and select it.
  12. Select the Save Device button.
  13. This can vary by driver... but basically at this point you change any driver Preferences you want and add any required information for the driver and select Save Preferences.

That should be it.

Is this the best choice as far as a weather driver for HE, or is there a built-in one? I was under the impression that HE had one already, but I couldn't find it.

@fcc131aca1b77f8da3e2 The virtual device name is OpenWeatherMap.

Thanks!

1 Like

Their web site in confusing as far as the Application key generation since to goes to the same link as the API key.

I can not get any keys to work. This is ridiculous ! I am sure the problems is the Application key!

Beats me! I can not get authorized after I make a set of keys.

Are you making your own driver? You do not need an Application Key if you are using one of the already made drivers.

Not true, the Application requires and Application key as well and the device ask for nothing but does not work. I do not know why every weather device fails. Ambient Weather, ApiXU, Dark Sky, SmartWeather, Weather Underground. None work at all. I get no values for anything. They are just not connecting. I just need something to work. This is ridiculous!

Yes, applications do need an Application Key but what I meant is that any driver someone has already made likely has an Application Key already built in. For example, my Ambient driver does.

If you are referring to an API Key, yes, they all require one. Some services it is free, some require you to have their weather station, and some are paid.

However, if none of the weather systems are working for you there is a bigger problem. I am most familiar with Ambient but do know a bit about Weather Underground. Both are expecting you to have your own weather station reporting to them. Weather Underground will accept Ambient stations sending data to them to get you an API Key for your account. Ambient itself requires an account and your system's MAC Address to get the API Key.

What weather station do you have? If none... There is the built-in OpenWeather driver or a few other services.

Hello Ambient Weather Community. I recently upgraded from Ambientweather.groovy to the newer AmbientEcowittWeather.groovy driver (0.6.9). I am seeing the following error in the logs quite frequently (sometimes 25-30 times per day):

2020-09-28 12:11:42.126 pm errorjava.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1 on line 528 (GetAmbientWeather)

Just wanted to verify if this is normal or not. Everything seems to be working ok. I am using a Ambient WS2902 weather station.
Thanks in advance for any help.