Amazon Echo Skill all devices 'not responding' until Hub rebooted

Per other posts here the old app is deprecated.

I've set up a cloud dashboard and found that stops working same time as Alexa...anyone else been able to repro that?

Looks like last hub startup on the Alexa hub was at 2021-02-02 13:40 UTC time, with no proper shutdown. My guess is power might have blinked during the snowstorm. That new timing means Alexa should be out in about an hour from now, not yesterday as I have thought.

Alexa and dashboards are both working for me past 1 week mark. Hmmm....

It's been 7 days and 5 minutes since last reboot. Tested a few times this morning -- cloud dashboards and Alexa were working as recently as 10 minutes ago but are now offline again. The failure after 7 days of uptime is truly like clockwork here.

@gopher.ny anything you want to check here or on your end before I reboot?

Got as much information as I could out of the hub - thank you.
I have a pretty good idea what times out, just can't figure how it happens. None of us at Hubitat can reproduce it. Sometimes Alexa ignores me, but there's no pattern, and it doesn't require a reboot.

2 Likes

@gopher.ny I'm still seeing the same behavior and rebooting weekly when this happens. Any updates on your end? Any other info I can help provide?

It's on my list of things to be implemented in 2.2.6. The idea is to simply obtain another Alexa token before a week passes. I haven't been able to reproduce the behavior, and a weeklong testing cycle doesn't help.

2 Likes

@d114, did running 2.2.5.131 as opposed to 2.2.5.119 happen make a difference?
There was a DNS issue in 119 (it defaulted to DNS server 8.8.8.8) that got fixed in later revisions.

Unknown, I ended up setting up a daily reboot to work around this. I'll shut that off but as we know it'll be a week before we get results....

@gopher.ny same issue after a week of uptime.

I have this exact same issue.

I am experiencing this as well. I haven't been monitoring the exact 7 day period but I have been rebooting my hub when Alexa wouldn't work. But exact problem for a bit now just didn't realize it. I came to search for an answer and because I was tired of the manual reboots all of the time and stumbled on this thread.

What platform version is on your hub? And, until there is a resolution, you should consider setting up a scheduled weekly/daily reboot that happens automatically.

Also tagging @gopher.ny

2 Likes

I have not been able to reproduce the issue so far. It just doesn't seem to happen for me, and each attempt has to wait for at least week, so testing isn't a quick process.

For what it's worth, there will be an easy, built in way to set up a scheduled reboot in the next firmware version.

3 Likes

Sorry, Went on vacation and just got back yesterday. Been gone for more than a week. Had to reboot the device though to get Alexa talking with my devices again.
I know there was talk about it before in this thread but I am using DHCP with a reservation. I am going to set it to static on both my router and hub and see if there is a different result next Monday.

Here is my info:

Hub Details
Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version
Hardware Version
Rev C-7
Hub UID
3272d87d--4aa6-ae69-********
IP Address
MAC Address
34:E1:D1:80:CD:62
Default Text To Speech (TTS) Voice

Kimberly, Female, US English
Current Hub Time (as of last page load)
2021-06-14 9:54:38 PM MDT Update Time from Browser Time

Same Thing. One week later and it stops working even after setting it to a static ip and removing the DHCP reservation.

I am having the same issue. I have a C7 with the Alexa skill enabled. Every 7 days Alexa fails to command any Z-Wave devices integrated into the HE, and the HE needs to be rebooted in order for Alexa to “see” the devices. Any update on this issue? Yes I have set a static IP for my HE. Another note to add is I’m using a UniFi Nano AP for all my devices, with an ATT Gateway (looking to add a USG soon and bypass the gateway).

1 Like

I've had a similar issue since spring 2020, with Alexa no longer able to control devices on Hubitat after about a week (I never measured the duration with data). My setup is Ubiquiti ERX router and 3 Unifi APs (not meshed). Experienced the issue on both Xfinity cable and CenturyLink fiber. Happy to supply the Hubitat team with further details if that's helpful for debugging.

In the interim, the following simple rule has mitigated the symptoms for our household, if others find it helpful:

2 Likes

2.2.8.143 added three endpoints to hopefully deal with this scenario. It's not reproducible for me, and never been, so it's sort of a band aid that deals with symptoms. Hopefully it addresses the issue, though. If it does, I'll add proper UI to Settings/Networking. The endpoints are below, there are no parameters, and their names are self explanatory. Hitting enable/disable endpoints makes the setting effective immediately and forwards to status endpoint to display current status.

/hub/advanced/enableWeeklyReconnect
/hub/advanced/disableWeeklyReconnect
/hub/advanced/isWeeklyReconnectEnabled

3 Likes