Amazon Alexa control reporting issues

@JasonJoel

Could you look at the three or four posts I posted here. It would be a big pain to repost them. I have looked at logs and can't make heads to tails of them. I can send them to you if you give me an idea of what your would like to see. I think these are driver issues as the physical switch works on all of the switches (14294) but through Alexa some work and some don't and the fade in out transition doesn't work. Very flaky. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

LJ

I have a few of these dimmers using the botched1 drivers and they all work with alexa. They transition nicely on and off as well. Did you hit configure after you switched the driver to the Botched1 driver? I don't think it happens automatically when switching between drivers.

I'll try to take a look. I have Alexa, but don't use it for any Hubitat device control, though.

It doesn't. I think it should, but have lost that battle. Mainly because there are SOME circumstances where you want to change drivers without hitting configure (setting up specific parameter values via basic zwave tool, for instance).

Just some additional information, I excluded one of the bad acting switches, deleted the instance from alexa, and re-discovered it. Now, it works perfectly at the physical switch, it will turn on from the Hubitat dashboard and device screen but won't tun off from either.

Thanks for the assist. Yes I do hit configure right after the screen refreshes after hitting save device when i change the driver to Botched1. This is so strange because I have other switches using the same dimmer and driver combo and Alexa at least turns them on and off. All of them, however, do the instant on/off thing rather than the transition. All of them including this bad actor switch work fine when pressing the switch with single or double tap. transitions work nicely on the physical switch. This is so strange.

LJ

I had some Alexa issues when I first switched from SmartThings to HE. I had to delete all of my rooms and devices in Alexa and recreate after connecting the skill to HE. Real pain in the behind.

Are you using the newest version of the driver? Someone else had an issue similar to that a few weeks ago (on a dimmer) and I modified the driver to make OFF work correctly for them.

I think so but I will reload it. All of them are in the same version and some are working but I will try to update the driver.

I think I may have to do this. In my migration I have been trying to limit the impacts to my wife since she is only slowly getting comfortable with the whole automation thing and starting to adopt it. Now I making changes and all the quirks are coming back. I am trying not to lose her faith I the system. But at this point I am committed and if we lose Alexa for a time while I get this done then so be it. I am hoping Joel will find a fix but if that does. It happen i will have to try to delete all Alexa and start over on her. Not an impossible task but time consuming.

I checked and I was indeed using the previous version. I have updated and configured all devices using it but I am not in a position to test them tonight. I will do so on the morning and get back to you with results.

OK so I changed to the newest driver last night and tested this morning. Everything is working now. I apologize for the fire drill. I seriously thought I had upgraded this. Thanks for your fast response. You are the best.

LJ

1 Like

No worries!!! Glad it is working!

Jason,

I am trying to build a rule which tries to do the following General function on GE Z-wave Plus Dimmer:

IF "Virtual Switch" is turned on THEN
Set MotionSensor ON and Set Motion Sensitivity to MED
ELSE IF "Virtual Switch is turned off THEN
Set Motion Sensor OFF

Nuttytree's driver on smartthings supported commands setMotionSenseMed() and SetMotionSenseOff() which could be used in WebCore. I am still a NOOB on Rule machine but I can't figure out how to do this. I don't know if I just don't know how to do this or if your driver doesn't support these commands.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

LJ

None of the currently published drivers have those commands exposed. If the command isn't in the driver, you can't do it at all programatically.

I used to include those commands in my driver, but removed them as it added a bunch of screen clutter and no one reported that they used it.

You could make a custom driver (extend my published driver, or make your own from scratch) and add it back in, though, it is only a few lines of code.