Am I overcomplicating this? [ Pico control of virtual shade]

That was quick!

I don't have shades, but you can't add devices to any virtual device. However, although I don't have shades, I know the following will work.

1. Add the Built-in app "Groups and Scenes".
  2. Create a new group with your three existing shades (choose dimmer as the device type),
  3. Give your new group whatever name you'd like.
  4. When you save the group, a new device will be created with the group name.

Use that new group device as the one controlled by the Pico.

Hope this helps.

Also for really simple 1to1 shade operations via pico do you have to set up rule machine for that?

1 - fully open (to limit)
2 - open a bit (press) / open while holding (press + hold)
3 - go to "favorite position"
4 - close a bit (press) / close while holding (press + hold)
5 - Fully close (to limit

Hold on. I'll have this confirmed in a bit for you. The app you want to use is Button Controller. I'll create some virtual shades and see how my Picos control them .....

hmm, ok, made 2 new "dimmer" groups 1 with all 5 shades, 1 with the 3 living room window shades, but when I go to those groups it thinks they're lights not shades.

looks like "Set Level" is working to control them. Although...

A. They don't move in sync (OCD problem)
B. They didn't all stop at the exact same place Also OCD problem)

I might need to readjust their "limits" in the Lutron app to resolve the second one, but not sure about the first.

I think that a limitation of the telnet connection between Hubitat and the Caseta bridge.

Although the devices are grouped in hubitat, they are not grouped on the bridge. So commands to control all three are sent sequentially and not in unison.

hmm, ok, now what? On the device list for the Pico I don't see an obvious way to assign each button to a function? it shows it as a 5 button (correct) and has a big button for push and release but not per button, and no reference to hold (for buttons 2 and 4)

You need to install the "Button Controller" built-in app.

P.S. Make sure your Picos are not in a room with any non-Pico devices (on the Lutron app). I put all my Picos in a room called "Pico".

Here's an example of one of my Picos that control a group called "Guest Bedroom Light".

Untitled

1 Like

if i want push and push and hold actions do I need to add the pico twice in the Lutron integration once with Push and release and once with Push and hold?

Exactly. So if you do "Start raising dimmer" with Held action on button 2. Then, the release action would be to stop.

1 Like

ok, got the basics, all 5 are moving together now as expected. Just need to re-add the pico with the hold functions, and change the "close" function to affect the 2 groups differently and I'll be all set.

Do each of the built in components like "Button controller 3.0" have github components that I can log bugs and feature requests on?

1 Like

No, none of the built-in apps are on GitHub. But this would be the right place to post bug reports.

BTW, for just one day in - you've really adapted quickly to the platform!

It is powerful, but also a REAL headache to do even the simplest thing.

OK, I went back to the Lutron integration and duplicated the "Living Room Shade Remote" so now I have :

Living Room Shade Remote (push)
Living Room Shade Remote (hold)

but in my device list it still just shows
Living Room Shade Remote

Is this not the right way to have both push and hold functionality from the pico remotes?

After a short while, it become second nature ..... I do agree that the UI can be cumbersome during initial setup.

1 Like

Maybe I’m reading this wrong but, in button controller pushed, released and and held are separate triggers. So held starts the blinds up or down and released stops them.

You shouldn’t have the remote in the Lutron integration twice.

Thanks I noticed that If I went back and switched push/release to push/hold I now have all 3 options, didn't need to duplicate.

I'm trying to recreate the default pico shade behavior and having some issues.

Actions on 1,3,5 use the "shade" component which only allows for open, close and set absolute value

2, and 4 are using dimmer component so you can do adjustments to the current state

1 and 5 work fine

2, and 4 "push" work the shade is moved up or down by 5%

2, and 4 hold don't do anything, or they move one unit of 5 then, nothing else, hard to say if they're doing push, then failing or one instance of hold...

push on 3 and hold on 3 aren't responding at all.

What am I doing wrong here?

and also, why isn't +/- incrementing part of the shade function? (e.g. why do I have to switch over to dimmer to do this?

I don’t have shades but for lighting the held trigger starts dimming up or down and the release trigger stops it.

Here is my button controller rule for lights

1 Like

I've tried a bunch of different configurations, and nothing works, open and close are fine, but the "favorites" button 3 and the raise and lower while holding just aren't responding at all. Not sure what else to do to get this working...