Am I missing out on Node Red

I wouldn't do it if I was happy enough with RM. For the reasons above it's worth investing some effort in an alternative I think. Actually I believe if we get 2-3 yrs down the line, RM won't look like it does today. Otherwise there is a serious risk that HE becomes largely a zigbee/z-wave connector device only. They have to significantly improve the usability of the core rule engine, I'm sure of it. If they get this right it's going to be dynamite and most migrants would end up returning to the integrated suite.

2 Likes

Really, I do it because I can. I like to learn new things. I wouldn't be happy just setting and forgetting. When I get to that point, I need to find something else. Something that keeps me thinking. It's really not necessary if you're ok with it. Most rules will run fine in RM and the other simple automations app. But, I get bored easily. That's what it's about. That rabbit hole is calling you @Angus_M

5 Likes

I'm in. That is once the power cut here is over (regular occurance still in Thailand, it's like going back 50 yrs compared with the UK where I originate).

So it's time also to accelerate my solar power plans...

2 Likes

I'm a bit like @april.brandt, i do it cos i can. Heck, may as well use my powerful unraid box for something else - right?!!!
Plus, i really like the visual flow aspect of NodeRed. For me, i can see exactly what happens next based on the flow.
Also, i really like the 'drag and drop' style of editing, being able to move commands around and easily changing rules, helps me!

2 Likes

Seems like some good dialogue here. Does node red help support non integrated devices then? For example I have Hive Heating

1 Like

Took me a while to learn NR as well and still learning but Love the visual of NR just like Stringify when it was alive. I find RM hard to use and difficult to edit complex rule. RM is really heavy on my hub as well when I have too many rules. Maybe I need a second hobby instead of just HA to keep me away from creating useless rules :grin:

2 Likes

I'll give it a go. I downloaded stringify about 2 days before they shut it down, so I didn't get chance to use it

1 Like

It was amazing and I still miss it.

2 Likes

@april.brandt
I’m surprised nobody has suggested to you to learn groovy.

I don’t have RM on any of my hubs
All my processing is done on my hubs with custom apps.
Most of which I have developed for the community but some are strictly for me, doing specific jobs that are only really relevant to my environment/needs

If you want a challenge then I would suggest this :slight_smile:

Andy

4 Likes

Why hasn't someone replicated it if it was so popular?

I'm not sure it was very popular but it was very good, especially in terms of its UI and some of its core (especially Cloud) integrations that were outstanding. Node-RED seems to tick many of the boxes from what I hear. I certainly know of several ex-Stringify buffs who migrated that way and like it.

While the product was great, their business model didn't work. Since it was almost entirely cloud based, they had huge infrastructure costs (like, really huge - hundreds of thousands of dollars per quarter we were told), and yet the app was free. It was doomed from the start with that approach. They could have started adding premium services and charging for them but instead decided to sell out to Comcast who sold it down the river. Actually parts of the product now exist in their other products. So I would say that technically it was a bit of a showcase but the business model sucked and was the reason for its demise ultimately.

What I would love to see is that type of ease of use plugged into HE. Which is kinda what Node-RED gives you, albeit not fully integrated into the same platform of course.

2 Likes

I would agree. Unless there is a complete re-design and re-write of RM, then we won't get that type of ease of use. I suppose Node-RED fulfils the gap that advanced users are missing

1 Like

SWEAR WORD ALERT!!!!!!
My name is Bob and I'm a webCoRE addict.
I've gradually converted all my RM rules (disabled them so I can go back should I need to) to pistons and I'm not having any issues.
I don't see the need for any other app.
I am still using other custom apps but will gradually migrate these as well.
I just find it so easy to use.

I'll see you next week at the meeting. :wink:

5 Likes

I dug out a Pi3B last week and installed HASSIO, then put node red on. I'm using hubitat as my main controller with hubitat nodes to link across. I've got stuff running on RM as a backup while I get my head around the new things.

Overall, I'm impressed at the possibilities. Setup wasn't too arduous and while it's going to be a learning curve (the last full program I wrote was an npc generator for AD&D on a CPC464 - I'm not a coder... ). It looks like it's going to be easier to get the Broadlink rf/ir controller integrated and there are a few other draws like a much more customisable dashboard system for information display.

I don't know if it's for everyone, but if you enjoy learning and don't want a fit and forget system then don't be put off. If nothing else, life is about options. The more you have, the easier it gets.

3 Likes

There is no question that losing many well versed users to Node-Red has to be a wake up call to Hubitat management. It points to a serious issue that should be addressed.
Hubitat management can claim (with some legitimacy) that for 90% of all Hubitat users RM is perfectly adequate, since their usage of this sophisticated tool is somewhat minimal. (Don't forget that the #1 competitor doesn't even really have a RM equivalent).
Nonetheless, it's a significant "chink in the armor" (or deficiency) that needs to be addressed to stem the flow of talented users out of the Hubitat ecosystem. Competitors aren't standing still. They are putting in sophisticated rules processing engines which are easy to use and very powerful. Being complacent in this critical area will not bode well in the long term.

5 Likes

go wash your mouth out

4 Likes

It's not so much that anybody is "leaving", but more and more are choosing to use it over the integrated rule engine. They're all still here and using the hub and contributing to the board. I don't think Node-Red is going to go away on this platform anytime soon. If anything it's only going to grow in popularity because of threads like this one. Staff should just embrace it.

1 Like

I am a Node-RED user and don't consider HE gone by any stretch of the imagination. I have found a certain combination of technologies that works for my use-case (and my clients) and that's it.

edit: The staff is making changes - introducing lighter versions of RM etc etc.. so things are moving forward it seems.

2 Likes

Man I loved WebCoRE on Smart Things.. tried it in HE early on and you want to talk about Hub lockups!!! I know things have improved a ton since then but after working in NR am not looking back. NR is far more flexible for my uses.

2 Likes

@Shaneb, I too have read numerous posts from people on here that I would consider awesome and exceptional, but you have one up on me, I have not been able to grasp the concept of Node Red let alone be able to use it. I got a giggle this morning when I read your post because I thought this morning "I'm going to sit down and take another crack at trying to understand how to use Node Red", and what do you know, I saw your post on the forum!! lol..

Anyways, every comment to your post I've read have good reasons why to use or not use Node Red (and most are why I'm giving it another go), but to answer your question, I will say follow @april.brandt's recommendation. She has helped this NOOB (as well as a good bit of other people) a number of times since I've got my HE and she has always give great direction and advise. So like she says, ".. if you're done, then you're not missing out.." then don't waste your time.

On the other side of that, I personally won't be following her direction this time, sorry @april.brandt. But not because I think she's wrong, because she's not, but because I am a tech and have OCD, am bloody determined to figure it out, just so I can say I did. Plus, like you, I think it may help me better what rules I currently have, and like you, mine are a bit "fudged" as you gracefully put it.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Cheers!!!

3 Likes