Am I missing out on Node Red

Now that you bring that up, there's that thing of your favorite development packing up and leaving. I've seen it before. Then what happens to the automation that contributed to the community? That leaves too and we're high and dry/ There are lots of reasons to go with native, and normally, I follow that guideline just because it's the path of least resistance. I have the same rules disabled in Rule Machine as I have active in Node red. Who knows where that will lead. I do know that if something happened, I'd be able to move over fairly quickly.

[edit]
but I'll still actively learn and implement new things. The important stuff will still run.

I feel let down by many that I bought into and believed in or depended upon, ,.. selfish I know.

Stringify, Google, Nest, SmartThings, IFTT in not improving their speed, Conrad Connect for going chargeable in an impractical way, Cloud services being closed by companies who then effectively disable your product..

Sorry if my previous post appears 'pompous' .. I just believe in HA and adopting it in the most practical way, I was just told it did. Too much Shiraz ...

2 Likes

Here's you saying... whatever it is you were saying ... but here's me saying ... "ah ... you a$$ you only posted part of your flow! Why are your LED's unknown? Where is your boolean logic? Have you tried bool-gate? What's the output look like?"

:grin:

[edit]
Not enough shiraz

2 Likes

It's here (booleangateultimate) ! - No one would want this flow but if you do it's yours !

.. and in a topic contextual way its a big + for NodeRED that it exists and another awkward thing in RM

:wine_glass:

1 Like

I'd have no use for it, but I still have curiosity. Because I can.
:beers:

I hate to interrupt the wine (and now beer) party but I'd like to hear from NR users, especially if you've used more than one, which method of HE <-> NR communication do you prefer and why. Is it the fastest, easiest, most reliable, least resource intensive, other?

1 Like

more flexible and future proof !

MQTT - no other contentions !

The nodes are faster, easier, reliability should be 100% in both.
NodeRED HE nodes give within flow access to device states for logic and that's a big +

1 Like

OK, @kevin, put down the alcohol for a minute and read my question again...

Ah, you fixed it :+1: :smiley:

Next week might be something different. If I wanted to move environments, Node red would make that easy as I could take my flows and integrate them elsewhere. I also don't need an entire driver to integrate something. I just need a simple way to trigger it. Too many possibilities.

Note to self: @kevin is NOT done just because he hit "Reply".... got it.

1 Like

@LosinIt I'm one of those don't want to 'play out' individuals but once I'm 'out' I don't want to go home :wink:

Speed for NR to respond will be faster with the HE nodes I think but I am not at all convinced that is the call here. But I know you want a light on ASAP when entering a room, which is understandable, we all want that. I would just implement it differently.

Nite

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Focus, @april.brandt, focus...

Am I the only one here who's NOT drinking (yet)?

2 Likes

Well,... Someone has to drive.
:policeman:

3 Likes

:rofl: OK, I'll drive... hop in.

1 Like

Soooooo show of hands.... who wants to attempt this in Rule Machine?? :joy: :joy:

P.S.... this really hurts my OCD.

I used Blockly (or a version of it) when I tried out Zipato.
Although they had many other issues, they did all of their rules manipulation with Blockly (or a slightly customized version of it). It was the "best" part of their entire system.

2 Likes

I've been loosely following this thread, and it's been interesting to see the different directions it has taken. Given my experience in Node RED is essentially non-existent, and my RM use is limited, my views are more philosophical (sorry for the long read...).

I think everyone's situation is different, which is why you can get such widely differing views on topics such as this. People's own personal expertise, their HA setup, the layout of a home and the people who occupy it, etc, all these can play into peoples views and experiences with different technologies and how to apply them. That's why discussions such as these and this community are so valuable, you can canvas a number of opinions so quickly and easily. But with that means that there is not always one quick, easy answer, not always a "one size fits all" solution. What works of benefits one person, may not work or provide any real benefit to another. Ideally you need to find out who best matches your own situation, or elements of it, and look at their experience and recommendations.

If you are going to introduce something new, such as Node RED, it's important to understand the reasons why. I think the reasons mostly boil down to a "need" that cannot be serviced easily by your current setup, although need is probably a strong word to use in the broader context of life in general.... The change may be to provide some added benefit, or simply for the fun of doing it, which could probably come under a benefit.

If it's a need, I think the points raised about having a backup option easily available is a good strategy, have the flexibility to change again if that decision is taken out of your hands, i.e. the Stringify example. Also manage the transition carefully. I have toyed a couple of times with moving my lights onto HE, but was careful to make sure I only did a small subset of my lighting setup, tested the outcome and was able to roll back to my Hue Bridge relatively quickly and easily. The same would be true of moving from RM to Node RED.

If the change is to reap some additional benefit, then you need to be sure about the effort required and how easy it may be to maintain the new setup and what support you may have available in order to make it a success. I think that is where the comments around documentation and support within a community such as this come into play. When I went down the path of setting up my raspberry Pi with InfluxDb and Grafana in order to do temperature charts, etc, I felt that was the best option for me at the time as I had experience with Linux, there were people on this community and in the broader Internet community that used the same setup (or elements of it) for various use cases, so I new I would have enough support to help me through any issues I may face. The Rpi also opens up other possibilities, in much the same way I expect Node RED would.

I think I've written enough... :slight_smile: I guess in the end the main thing is to ensure you enjoy the ride, which I certainly have so far.

Simon

3 Likes