Am I correct that wifi devices cannot be managed/locally?

Looking to really jump into smartening up my home, and adding zigbee and z-wave devices to my list (I don’t have hubitat yet). But I have existing and surely some other devices will be wifi. Does this mean they cannot be talked to/read from within hubitat?

Right now I have Mysa thermostat, Lenovo smart plugs, a few kasa switches+plugs.

In future does this mean I cannot have a smart button turn on a set of lights and turn on a wifi plug? Leaving - turn off lights and adjust Mysa thermostat? Currently doing this with a mix of Google Home and Siri.

Assuming there is a way - is there a way this happens locally or will always require cloud (moreso thinking latency delays)

I'm a newbie, as far as this stuff goes, but there is an integration for Kasa. I was using a Kasa outlet. It was local and ran fast.

1 Like

The problem with wifi devices is that it all depends on the vendor and if they have open API's or a web interface. Best option is to do some searches for each device in these forums and find out what others have done with the same devices.

3 Likes

There's at least three official local Wi-Fi integrations, Kasa, LIFX and WiZ.
And if your device is controllable by the Magic Home App then it probably will work with this custom user integration.

And I'm sure there's more... :thinking:

Edit: And, Shelly, of course. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

There are allof of custom cloud and local integrations to. I take care of one for Govee where over 140+ devices work with there cloud and 40 of those same devices for local LAN api's a few months ago. 13 new devices will get LAN control in a few days

1 Like

Seems like the right thread to point out @garyjmilne’s integration for Tasmota devices.

1 Like

Shelly devices work great locally.

1 Like

It depends entirely on the device and what the manufacturer allows. Some, like the Ecowitt bridge and Lifx bulbs, Lutron switches and Hue hubs, work regardless of cloud connectivity. Others, like Ecobee, interact with the ecobee cloud. But with something like a thermostat a bt of lag doesn't really make any difference, With bulbs it very well might.

2 Likes

This issue is not whether the device communicates via ethernet but whether the manufacturer makes an open API available that doesn't require a cloud connection.

4 Likes

That is required of course.

The other part of this equation is whether you can set up local control without a supporting proprietary cloud-connected app/action required for initial setup. If you can't, then in the future you might get blocked from adding additional devices, or re-adding existing ones, if the company hosting the web server/app closed or decided to stop supporting the devices.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.