Alternatives to Z-Wave

LOL. Nah...well maybe a little. The whole banning of people without explanation of any sort or kind or even giving the "competition excuse".... did kind irk me a little.

1 Like

And If Bruce is not "All Lutron" for his lighting then I'll accept that. I did preface that "I think I remember" so I could be wrong.

I can't ask Chuck here anymore to find out....

2 Likes

For the record, I don't have any Lutron, my home runs 60/40 Zigbee/Zwave, I am the least, most, I guess :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to hear. Lots of Zigbee :rofl:

1 Like

I disagree with your premise. A lot of users prefer to know the information of which devices "work best" with the hub they are using, those in particular who don't have the time to constantly fix problems when they occur, can look at acquiring those devices.

When I first purchased Hubitat, I only had a few devices that were mostly zwave. After seeing how much better other than zwave performs with this hub, All my future devices purchases were other than zwave unless no one other than zwave makes the device I'm looking for.

Of my 3 hubs zwave hub has the least amount of devices on it and when those devices fail or other protocols make the same device they will be replaced with other than.

The premise that users are beholden to the zwave protocol, I disagree. Sure maybe a few people who join this platform already with hundreds of protocol specific devices, but that is far from the majority of users initially purchasing Hubitat.

The reason for this is to inform the user of what products work best. That is "A" solution, not "THE" solution.

5 Likes

When the original poster of this thread, was told (by several users) that the solution to his problem was to go with Lutron, this is what he posted:

I rest my case.

"Irrelevant to this conversation and thread" that pretty much sums it up.

By your logic, when a poster starts a thread asking for help with a zwave issue, that thread should not provide a solution to getting his device working, but should rather promote a wholesale change to another protocol, not to help the original poster of the thread, but rather to provide information to other people that may be browsing the forum. That premise is actually funny.

5 Likes

Not "the" solution

"A" solution

There have and will always be "issues" with all home automation

Even the slightest research on this forum will show you:

Lutron has the least amount of reported issues.

Zwave has the most reported issues

Your comment above that I referenced illustrated that the "compatibility" of the protocols, nowhere does it state that "compatibility" equals "problem free" nor would they insinuate such.

So you would advise to not recommend anything at all (because it is already known there isn't a current solution, "yet") then to recommend what IS KNOWN to work "currently" Yes I disagree as that would only lead to more frustration from the user who doesn't want to spend hours trying things.

There is no "help" other than above. Hubitat is "aware of" the issues, Has reported they are working on "fixing them" and only they have that ability to fix them, so asking users for help on "THE" solution where users don't have the ability to is nonsensical, THERFORE, "recommendations" is the best you are going to get.

1 Like

This is incorrect. I provided the original poster with a solution, here it is:

1 Like

That solution is flawed, as I have 3 hubs and one specifically dedicated to Zwave ONLY and still have zwave issues.

2 Likes

I will let the original poster decide if he thinks my solution will alleviate some of his problems. If you read the thread, you would see that he also stated his zwave devices had no issues on his C3. Read the thread, please.

I did read this thread.

I also know that correlation never equals causation.

4 Likes

Wow! I simply responded to your post about trying to mimic the Lutron model of a hub dedicated to controlling light switches...

That was it, and I intended it as a joke as noted by my :wink: emoji. My response was not to the OP, but rather to you specifically. And I even threw in that I realized that converting to Lutron is not practical to many.

As others have already mentioned, the OP didn't seem to be upset at all by my post.

This thread has gotten a bit out of control and off topic... PEACE ALL!

6 Likes

What?!?! it's on the normal crash course collision heading as most threads!

3 Likes

:popcorn:

3 Likes

I apologize if anyone took offense to any of my posts. Everyone's views and opinions are valid. There are some really knowledgeable people in this community. Some are very technically savvy (I am not one of them. LOL).

I appreciate everyone's posts and learn a lot from them. Posts from @ogiewon and @waynespringer79 @JasonJoel @aaiyar have all helped me a lot in the past, along with posts from many other users. For this I am thankful to them.

I think I just simply want a solid zwave implementation on hubitat, or for hubitat to drop zwave. Only half working is not good enough for home automation. It is obvious some of my frustrations came through in this thread.

This will be my last post in this thread, thanks for the conversation. Hope the OP finds a solution to his problem.

5 Likes

:crossed_fingers:that we get this with the 2.2.4 update coming to a hub near you.................soon.
It could be a thanksgiving present to all of you in the U.S.

4 Likes

Who knows? Maybe even a Guy Fawkes Day gift for our friends across the pond.

3 Likes

Please Mike reference where I implied or stated that any staff are "ALL Lutron"? I stated:

That most if not all of staff USE Lutron...

There's always been a higher emphasis of support and quality for Lutron and Zigbee over Z-Wave.

Ok... sure. It's just lower on the preference from the primary development staff then. Except for Bryan he likes Z-Wave.

No offense taken here. I get excitable sometimes, but never really take offense unless it devolves into personal attacks. And even then it depends if I give a rat's patootie about the person's opinion that is attacking me.

Life's too short. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lol I picture a private staff section of the forums where the staff make fun of us for carrying on..

1 Like