Alternatives to using ST presence

Create a Virtual presence using cobraā€™s driver

Expose it th homebridge, and yes to restart homebridge

In the home app, find that device and test on then off. Should show on a dashboard or device page

Select Automations in the Home app (at the bottom right) and build one for ā€œwhen someone arrivesā€

Click the ā€œtest this automationā€. The switch in habitat should show on/present

2 Likes

I'm doing all of that with ogiwan's driver.

Yep. Click back in that home app and verify youā€™ve selected the virtual presence to be On

Iā€™m assuming you KNOW that clicking that virtual switch has to work first.

1 Like

Yes indeedy.

Clicking Test This Automation is simply gonna click that switch for you. And if you have the exact same Automation altered for Leave and the switch to Off, you should be able to turn that switch on and off at will via the two Test This Automation

1 Like

Yeah, the test works.
I watched as I came home, it didn't trigger.
I'll have to test again tomorrow, but I don't think it works.

Life 360 is ok for now.
I'll keep trying tomorrow.

Make sure Bluetooth and Wifi are enabled.

Make sure BOTH of your Automations are Enabled (there at the top of the Automation) and then use a Dashboard to set the switch into the "correct state" prior to leaving arriving. If you're home, set the switch to On. When you get elsewhere, you should have seen it change, but if not, set it to Off so that when the Arrival automation runs, it will potentially do something. The point is, to test each automation individually. You are probably correct, that it's not triggering, but that's different from finding that one of the Automations works, while one doesn't.

I had that so I know how clarifying that is. :slight_smile: I disabled an automation and so it always showed me as home. Once when I was away, I set the switch to off/away and imagine my forehead slap when that worked when I got home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm having the same problem as Keith. Testing the automation works, but it doesn't seem to automatically fire even though I think I have the location settings (finally) configured correctly. Might need to look into another option. Or I can keep doing what I'm doing: guessing based on (mostly) when my motion sensors stop detecting things for a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretend to create another Automation...

People Arrive - then notice there's a Location > button about mid way.. click it.. does the Map show your house?

You can cancel creation of the Automation, all we wanted was the map to prove the geofence was set to your location, normally called Home.

The next step in the test involves traveling. You must cross outside the geofence and then back in.

Yep, that all looks correct to me and I've traveled out and back in multiple times since it's been set up a few days ago. My "Home" location, the same one used here, is also successfully used by location-based Reminders.

OK, the Homekit hub is the last thing I can think of. Given you previously turned off Location Services on your phone, it seems reasonable to think you might have done it on AppleTV (assuming that's your hub.. it is for me.)

On your Apple TV:
Go to Settings > General > Privacy and make sure that Location Services is turned on.
Select Location Services.
Make sure that HomeKit is set to Always.

Both Location Services and Homekit within location services need to be On.

as the starter of this thread i demand you all to stop speaking over my head.

3 Likes

I completely agree.. I am going to ask @bobbyD to split this at around post 75-77

I'm actually using an old iPad mini that just always stays at home, but that was a good idea to check! Unfortunately, all appears OK there too, as well. (It may have been locked for too long and I'm not sure if that prevents it from really acting as a hub--not sure if it eventually stops connecting to Wi-Fi until its woken up or something--so we'll see next time I leave home.)

EDIT: Seemed to work the next couple times I came home (within a few hours after doing this), but now doesn't seem to be working anymore. Maybe my iPad/hub went into too much of a "deep sleep" again. I'll see next time I get home if it works for a while again after I wake it up. If so and this is the cause, this won't be a good solution for me but presumably would work better for those with an AppleTV (which I don't want to get just for this).

My HomeKit presence works well. But I've had other weird location issues before.

These services are all tied together via iCloud. The one thing that seems to address many of these issues is to log out of iCloud and log back in. Also, make sure your home address is selected properly on your personal Contacts card.

The HomeKit Hub has one location, the iPhone has it's own. When those two overlap, "presence = true"

Obviously if the HomeKit Hub thinks it's miles away, then the two "circles" never overlap. Creating a new Automation gives a glimpse into where the phone thinks it is.

I didn't find any method of getting the HomeKit hub (apple TV for me) to display it's map, or coordinates.

The above is exactly what I'm doing, but it is not consistently working for me. (Unlike with "Share My Location" disabled, which it never prompts you to enable if it's not, it does at least work sometimes now.)

EDIT: It seems to be working more reliably for me the last few days. I'm not sure if it's because my HomeKit hub (the iPad mini) has been on/used more or if something about using HomeKit for this takes a few days for it to "stabilize" (realize it needs to watch out for this?). I am assuming it was something with my hub, however, since it didn't work at all after enabling these features before I "woke it up" and unlocked it--something I don't often do since the only reason I'm using it as my hub is that it's always at home, it's old, and I don't use it for much (besides this) anymore. :slight_smile:

Well my last 2 things is, then Iā€™ll butt out, is in Dhare My Location, you do have the phone you want to use as location selected right? I know that sounds simplistic but Iā€™ve had 2 people I worked with have that set to the hub and not the phone and if you go to Find MyPhone in iCloud, does that properly show your location or more specifically, the device location? Obviously this needs to be checked when Home and when Away. Hope you solve it. Not gloating but mine is 100% reliable. Maybe talk to Apple Support?

So I got Homebridge presence working for my wife and I.
Goooooodbye Life360!
In fairness it's on the nice list lately.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.