[RELEASE] Tuya Temperature Humidity Illuminance LCD Display with a Clock (w/ healthStatus)

dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.499 infoTuyaTempHumClock Temperature scale reported by device is: Fahrenheit
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.496 traceTuyaTempHumClock dp_id=4 dp=9 fncmd=0
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.377 infoTuyaTempHumClock Temperature scale reported by device is: Fahrenheit
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.375 traceTuyaTempHumClock dp_id=4 dp=9 fncmd=0
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.256 infoTuyaTempHumClock humidity is 52 % RH
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.254 traceTuyaTempHumClock dp_id=2 dp=2 fncmd=52
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.077 infoTuyaTempHumClock temperature is 19.7 °C
dev:5792022-02-20 18:41:34.074 traceTuyaTempHumClock dp_id=2 dp=1 fncmd=197

Except... I had just changed it to Celsius... And when I change it to F it says reported scale is C. However it remains in sync when I use the button to sync it, so that's good.

If you change any other setting (like the temperature reporting sensitivity) and press 'Save Preferences', is the temp. displayed on the LCD still correct (in Celsius) ?

No, any attempt to "Save Preferences" sets the device to the opposite of the scale showing on the page. Though it doesn't take a moment to press the button again.

Thank you for the tests and your patience! :slight_smile:

I have now published version 1.0.4 where the Celsius/Fahrenheit settings for the TS0601_Tuya devices group are finally correct.

Hi, if I understand correctly the same driver works for all of the listed devices? A few of them have buttons on the device. It's probably too much to hope for any of those to be button controllers?

I'd like to have a device like this where I could click a button to lower or raise the temperature. Basically a remote thermostat that take input.

I'll probably by one of these just for the fun of it. Any strong preferences having worked with these for a while?

The driver is designed to work with all of the different Tuya devices that are shown in the first post. What is common is that all they measure temperature and humidity, some measure also the illuminance, and some are showing a real-time clock on the LCD display, that is synchronized with HE hub time.

These are not button controllers, the knob that is present on some models is used to switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit scale or is used just for pairing. And you can't push what is displayed as temperature on the LCD, so these can not work as as remote control units for a thermostat.

I have been experimenting with using a wall thermostat LCD display and Up/Down keys controls as a remote controller for my real TRVs. A simple RM rule will intercept the heating setpoint change from the wall thermostat keys and will send the new target temperature to the real TRV (or any other thermostat or HVAC system, real or virtual). The wall thermostat displays both the target temperature and the measured room temperature from the built-in temperature sensor. It works but is not the ideal solution IMHO, there are a lot of small details that I don't like.

From the Tuya sensors w/ displays shown above I have the first and the last ones. The _TZE200_LVE3DVPY model works stable, but I can't change the scale to Fahrenheit. The last one with the milk e-Ink display looks great, but does not work stable with any HA system, even when paired to the original Tuya gateway, so do not buy it! So probably the second ( _TZE200_LOCANSQN) and the third ( _TZ3000_QAAYSLLP) models are worth trying,

Thanks for the info. I'm a little surprised that the market has not come up with a scene remote that also has an LCD display that could not display some alpha numeric values. I'm sure it will come as it would have a lot of potential.
I'm in the same boat, old house where the upper floors can be 4-7 degrees warmer in the summer and a thermostat located on the ground floor. We have a Honeywell system that has a remote that we keep by the bedside and just click a button to select the remote as the temperature source. Works very well but I find the Hubitat\Honeywell integration just to unreliable and unusable. I want to get rid of it, but not until I can come up with a workable alternative.

I did see the wall thermostats you referred to and had the same thought but decided against it as I want something handheld and battery powered.

I opted for one of these (TZ3000_QAAYSLLP) off of Amazon and should get it next week. I read elsewhere that it should be accurate to +-0.3 so I plan to use it as a reference temp for setting all my remote temperature devices.

Hey, in my searching I was always looking for "zigbee scene controller with LCD" or something like that. It occurred to me today that perhaps there was a Z-Wave device that might do it and I found this. Nexia NX1000 and there is a Hubitat driver for it that looks pretty comprehensive. I'm looking to see if I can get one cheap to try out.

Seems close to what we are looking for, but... see the notes by the driver developer here : [Release] Nexia NX1000 . As this is a battery powered device, it 'sleeps' most of the time, so dynamically updating the display to the thermostat current setpoint may not be in a near real time... And Amazon reviews show short battery life.
If you can find it cheap on eBay it may be worth trying, but the price for a new unit is way too high.

Actually, the easiest solution would be an old Android phone running the Android Dashboard app : [RELEASE] Hubitat Dashboard - Android dashboard app . It will be very easy to make a custom dashboard with only these controls / virtual buttons that you need to remotely control the thermostat. And the updates are in a near-real-time.
The battery recharge problem will be less annoying if a wireless charger can be used with the phone.

That is a good idea with the android phone on a charging pad. I've got the Hubitat app on my phone but this seems like something different so I will look into it.

I did buy one of these Tuya Temp\Hum devices from Amazon but beware. Even though it clearly lists Zigbee in the networking protocols on the third photo the little instruction sheet only mentioned WiFi and Bluetooth and I could not get it to pair. So it's going back.

The Zigbee model is this one, And yes, on the leaflet iside the box the Network protocol should be clearly stated as Zigbee 3.0

Thanks, wish I had found that on Amazon but ended up buying one from Alibaba. Should arrive after I have forgotten I bought it and it will be a nice surprise.

2 Likes

Damn, I got the wrong device too. Ordered from Alibaba and it says "WiFi ZigBee" in the description but it's not the ZigBee one.

Often on AliExpress /AliBaba sites the descriptions are wrong or misleading.. It's even worse, the same wrong descriptions are simply copied by sellers in Amazon and Walmart!

I now usually check whether the same seller offers explicit options for Zigbee and WiFi devices. And I never use a phone or tablet when purchasing anything, always make the orders from a desktop PC or laptop with at least 15" display! :eyeglasses::flushed:

2 Likes

I just picked up one of these and since I had your driver prior to adding the device, it correctly paired as Tuya Temperature Humidity...

• endpointId: 01
  • model: TS0601
  • application: 0120FFE43620FFE246
  • manufacturer: _TZE200_locansqn

However, I just can't get it to display Fahrenheit in the app or on the display no matter what I do.

My hub is set to Fahrenheit, but neither Auto Detect, Celsius, or Fahrenheit changes my reading to F. I've tried pressing Refresh alone, and also Initialize and then Refresh. When I hit Initialize, go to the Device List, and then return to this device, I lose the Advanced Settings and have to re-enable them.

I've also tried forcing the Model Group to TS0601_Tuya and TS0601_Haozee (which I believe is the correct setting for the _TZE200_locansqn). I'm on the latest version of your driver * driverVersion : 1.0.4 2022/02/20 9:58 PM that I can find.

This isn't really important, I just bought this device to play around with but after reading this entire thread I just wonder what I'm doing wrong.

1 Like

4 hours later... without changing anything, my temperature is reporting in Fahrenheit within Hubitat now. The LCD still shows Celsius and probably always will.

@Lee_K thank you for the feedback!

This seems strange, the 'application' data value is usually a decimal number... but with Tuya devices you never know!

Is there a button (probably on the top of the device) that changes the temperature scale C/F ?

Now I think that I have made it too complicated by exposing this C/F/Auto option as a preference.. I am planning to remove it, and simply use the hub global setting. There is no sense to choose a scale different than the one that is set globally for the hub. And not all devices support it.

'Initialize' button is another capability that I plan to remove from this driver. It is not needed for this type of sensors, was useful for me when I was changing different drivers back and forth, but now it is not needed.

When the 'Model Group' preference is set to 'Auto Detect' (this is the setting by default), the driver is trying to set internally the correct device model, based on the Model and Manufacturer data. But the actually detected model is not visible on the device UI page, so I can show it in the 'State Variables' section to avoid confusion.

That's a bit strange, could be a result from changing different C/F/Auto options.

I am afraid your device does not support displaying the temperature in Fahrenheit itself. This is exactly the case with the first device shown in the first post ( _TZE200_lve3dvpy). While changing C/F on the LCD display works for the third device ( _TZ3000_qaaysllp), that however has a physical button on the top...

Does your device have a buzzer built-in? I am not sure whether the alarm function is enabled by default - rapidly changing the humidity above 75% may produce a beeping sound. Does this device have a 'Reset' button on the top?

@kkossev Thank you for your detailed reply and all your work on the Tuya drivers!

Yes, my device has a button on top. Physically it looks exactly like the second image in your initial post. The button worked to find the device with a long press, but otherwise it doesn't appear to do anything.

My current humidity is 51% so I set the Minimal Humidity Alarm to 75% and also changed the Maximum time between humidity reports to 60 seconds. After a few minutes, there's no beeping. About ten minutes after making this change, Events shows a humidity report but no beeping has occurred.

For what it's worth, the product page on Aliexpress does not mention a built-in buzzer. It does state that the temp can be displayed in C or F but maybe they're referring to the App's display, not the LCD.

1. Temperature Unit Selection in APP
    You can choose ℃ or ℉ as the temperature unit through app.

Like I mentioned before, none of this is a big deal. I only bought this unit for experimentation and whether the LCD displays in a familiar form or not, I can still use it as a trigger in rules if I want.

Thanks again for your help.
Lee

1 Like