Mira: Driver to "mirror" devices between Hubitat and SmartThings Edge

Mira is a new driver for SmartThings Edge that will allow Hubitat devices to be "mirrored" back to the Edge environment.

It's now stable enough for alpha testers to help test and who are willing to share their results.

What it does

• Allows for the mirroring of certain device types that are owned by Hubitat to be mirrored to virtual devices in SmartThings.
  • Stays completely local, no cloud is required for communication. The communication between ST and HE only uses the local LAN.
  • The device creation is only one way (real devices in SmartThings aren’t reflected back in Hubitat) but control and updates are bidirectional.
  • You can turn on a switch in Hubitat and it will show on in corresponding SmartThings virtual device. And vice-versa. Dimming the virtual switch in SmartThings will request that Hubitat do the dimming and report back its new state.
  • Sensor data of shared devices is reflected near-time in SmartThings.

Device types supported

• Switch
  • Dimmer Switch
  • Smart Bulb
  • Thermostat
  • Window Shade
  • Button Controller
  • eTRV
  • Lock

And Sensors:

• Motion Sensor
  • Motion/Temperature Sensor
  • Motion/Temperature/Illuminance Sensor
  • Motion/Temperature/Humidity/Illuminance Sensor (4 in 1)
  • Leak Sensor
  • Presence Sensor
  • Temperature Sensor
  • Temperature/Humidity Sensor
  • Contact Sensor
  • Contact/Temperature Sensor
  • Smoke Detector
  • CO Detector
  • Illuminance Sensor

More are possible, these are just the first pass.

How to setup

• Requires a Hubitat Hub (any model that supports Maker API) on the same network subnet as SmartThings hub.
  • Uses the Maker API on Hubitat side (built in app, nothing to install).
  • In Hubitat, create a new instance of the Maker API selecting the specific devices you want to be shared with SmartThings.
  • On SmartThings, install the Mira Edge driver. After “Scan Nearby…” , a virtual device for the Hubitat Hub will be created. On its Settings page, input the URL of the Hubitat instance and its access token.
  • For each device shared with SmartThings that matches a supported device type, a separate virtual device will be created on the SmartThings side.

Interested?

Reply here if you are interested! I’ll send an invite with instructions of how to install and collect results.

Thanks!

11 Likes

Very interesting! I'm guessing the Lua driver is talking to Maker API.

I'd be willing to test, but I don't really use my SmartThings hub anymore.

4 Likes

I'd find this very useful; I'm using ST for SMS with a handful of Edge virtual switches flipped by HE via IFTTT when I want it to generate a text, but that's laggy and limited to the free tier.

I'm also using ST to 'shoulder tap' my HE hub periodically via HubConnect-- still working for me, but on borrowed time... The ability to mirror HE's devices with your driver will neatly fill that void.

4 Likes

I’ll give it a spin!

1 Like

I have a Smartthings Hub and would be interested in testing the driver.

1 Like

I'd like to give it a try will it mirror a lock?

1 Like

Not yet. I don't have any locks on Hubitat to test with.

What lock are you using? Would you want it to be able to lock and unlock from the ST side? Any other functions?

I have both smarthing and Hubitat I will a tester

1 Like

Superb

I am also interested in this, it would be very useful

1 Like

Can you please send instructions to install this? Very much need a solution and willing to test it out.

1 Like

Interested in trying this. I just moved to a new home and set up HA . Been on SmartThings for years but still need SmartThings for some cloud connected devices not supported in HA.

1 Like

I would like to give it a try. I'm moving from ST to HA, but need to sync some devices not available in HA as of yet, e.g. some cloud integrated devices.

1 Like

Yes I am interested. I was using smartthings but switched to hubitat, needed echo speaks and webcore. Have samsung appliances that can create virtual switch that is seen in hubitat for various reasons. Thanks

Adding you to the project email. For your specific use case you mentioned above, you might a;sp look at HubiThings Replica, its designed to take real ST devices and mirror them to HE over the cloud.

2 Likes

This is just what I was looking for. Got it working. Thanks

1 Like

I’m interested in this as well, I have a few ST items that don’t integrate directly to Hubitat yet and this could help. Great idea!

Mira is about taking HE devices and sharing them as virtual devices on ST. It sounds like you might want to go the other direction (real ST devices reflected to HE), you can try HubiThings Replica.

If you'd like to try Mira, check us out at Mira: Hubitat to SmartThings hub integration Edge driver - Community Created Device Types - SmartThings Community.

Realistically, either way could probably work, but my wife might like the familiarity of the app from ST as I figure out how I want my Hubitat dashboards to work. She's not on that app often, but when I'm not home and some lights aren't turning off she get frustrated if there isn't a way to manually kill them (most are only able to turn off from the app due to how I set the relays up)

The stuff on ST are a Lutron under cabinet light string (wrong hub for Hubitat control), some Osram ZigBee lights I'm not adding to the new network, and a handful of Feit wifi color bulbs that work fine (albeit slowly) on ST as they are and I don't suspect will work any better on Hubitat and took some steps to do the first time. Would just be nice to have all my main network things on the one hub and pass sensors back and forth to trigger action.

The actual thing that triggered me to jump to Hubitat was ST losing the ability to use my sleep number bed as a day/night mode trigger that sets the stage for the rest of the day and kills all the lights when we are in bed. Does the mirror to ST app have a good way to signal mode changes from Hubitat to ST, or is there a way to generate a virtual switch to accomplish the same thing? These aren't items I need to pass lightening quick, just make sure that the command ultimately executes based on activity rather than time.

This is the number one use case for Mira for me as well. Using the ST app for a high WAF.

ST devices can't change the ST mode directly, as you mentioned you'd need to have virtual switches with routines setup to do the mode change. Depending on how many modes you have this could get unwieldy, I'm open to suggestions here.