[ALPHA] Mobile Controller - Get Your Mobile Device Status and Control Them

Thanks. My plan is to try and introduce a profile in the project to allow an easy upgrade of the Tasker project on the mobile device once the project is already installed.... That or looking at some of the App-based options for projects in Tasker. Mostly want to just get it setup first, then expand on some of these ideas.

Actually, that is not a permission issue. The configuration does not appear to have been sync'd to Tasker. Have you created the virtual device on HE yet? In the MC App? If you have, try running the configure command... That should send through the local and cloud API endpoints for the MC App

Yes, I have two devices configured in MC. The complaining notifications seem to have stopped on their own shortly after boot-up, so maybe it was a timing issue. I went ahead and hit Configure just to be sure.

Sounds perfect for my use case. What I want to do is check the HE mode when the Android device is restarted to catch up with any mode changes that occured when it was offline. Currently, I see three variables (%mc_LastBatt, %mediaVolUnmuted, %newVol) but not one for mode.

Hmmm.. I'd expect it to be an issue between loading the Tasker project and doing the setup on HE.... I need to put some smarts into the Tasker project to only send / turn on the reporting profiles once the setup has been done on HE.

This isn't quite how it will work currently. The MC App on HE subscribes (keeps tabs on) changes in mode on the HE hub and when a change is detected sends this to each MC mobile device. I could probably setup a Tasker profile for system boot poll HE for any updates. This could also be used for those who choose to not use cloud comm's, performing the same sync when local comm's are re-established.

My understanding is that "variables" are global, such as the last battery reading and media volume variables... I could be wrong about that...

EDIT - I was wrong. See my correction at the end of this post.

The mode, along with other configuration settings, are Project Variables, specific to the MC Tasker project. You can see these by long-pressing the project name in the bar at the bottom of the Tasker App and selecting Project Properties from the pop-up. The mode variable is mc_mode.

What I was describing earlier was to potentially store this in a regular variable instead, like the battery and volume variables, making the mode available in your own projects / profiles. My initial intention was to keep everything self-contained in the project, but can't remember why I didn't do this with the battery and volume one's.... I need to look at this some more...

Correction Re Variables:

From the Tasker documentation:

Global vs. Local Variables

Variables which have an all-lower-case name (e.g. %fruit_bar) are local, meaning that their value is specific to the task or scene in which they are used.

Variables which have one or more capital letters in their name (e.g. %Car, %WIFI) are global , meaning that wherever they are accessed from the same value is returned.

https://tasker.joaoapps.com/userguide/en/variables.html

I am getting somewhat closer to what I will consider a beta release of this App / driver, including the following features I am still working on:

• Reporting current states - Screen brightness, volume settings, do not disturb and more
  • Change mode from the mobile device - Including from the home screen and quick settings
  • Monitoring of Bluetooth devices connected - Useful for detecting when the device is connected to a car
  • Call and Message Monitoring - Missed messages, incoming call and in-call states
  • GPS Location Monitoring - Potentially multiple locations
  • Turn WireGuard VPN On / Off
  • Communicate over VPN when away from home
1 Like

I'm also playing around with NFC tags, if anyone is interested.

Not sure exactly how I will use them just yet, but have been interested for a while to see what I can do. Have just got triggering of a Tasker profile working with an NFC tag, writing to the tag and launching an app on my phone. With this being the case, and the other features I have working already in Mobile Controller, no reason I can't send a message back to HE when a tag is scanned.

Any ideas or requests are welcome.