All Zigbee Sengled lights suddenly stopped working and required a re-join - Random ZigBee reconfiguration?

Hi there

Yesterday about 6/7 pm (EST) all of my Sengled light devices ( mix of color / classic / LED strips ) stopped working + a number of my motion sensor stopped working / responding. Rebooted and updated the hub with no effect and had to rejoin every single device to the hub to restore service . Additionally, a one simple rules failed to operate post device rejoin and were restored to operation when I when in I stopped / started the rule

The hub was and currently seems to be in an ok state and responsive however there is obviously something going on ... any ideas as to what might cause a mass loss of device registration like this?

Current hub version: 2.3.5.101 (updated yesterday)
Previous hub Version: 2.3.4.148

I'd say your Zigbee PAN ID has changed, which usually creates this scenario. Ever since this happened to me, I make a note of my PAN ID just so I know what the issue is. It could be caused by various issues, a repeater dropping off, interference from wifi or a neighbor's zigbee network. Also if the hub is being stressed via loads of messages, the Zigbee radio is the first to crash. With me it was a couple LAN integrations that overworked the hub and when the radio came back, the PAN ID had changed

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense .... and am wondering why the PAN ID would change... its super disruptive and a serious pain in the rear end .... + if this is actually the problem id kind of expect to see all my other ZIGBEE devices to have problems over the next day or 2 !!!!!!

Understanding this probably is an issue all face now and then, this is a fairly big issue... If this had happened last week while i was traveling my family would have literally been in the dark until i came back and there are no indications that i can find in the logs that anything happened (other than most of my devices not working) = making resolution 10X harder

Is there a way of managing this type of dropout and random ZigBee reconfiguration?

If/when the PAN ID changes, some devices will automatically reconnect, others will not and have to be rejoined. Take a look at your past logs and look for errors and/or some devices or apps sending hundreds of messages rapidly.

Managing this type of issue is done by trying to find the offending apps or devices. Can you list your zigbee devices connected to your hub?

this can happen (and it's not common) if another zigbee network claims the same PAN id, Hubitat will try to retain its pan id a total of 10 times, but if the other network doesn't give in then we change it.

For your consideration:

... Looking at the logs, its quiet and very few errors however I generally do not keep that log activity switched on on devices . Looking at device stats, noting looks out of the normal for the last 10 or so hours... and as we speak device's that were ok this AM are sliping off the network ( two of my 3 water sensors just went quiet and lost control of a plug.. = am thinking ill need to rejoin everything ZigBee )

Devices are::

• Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor ( SmartThings)
  • Generic Zigbee Outlet ( SmartThings)
  • Generic Zigbee Switch ( SmartThings)
  • Hue Motion Sensor
  • new Peanut Plug 2
  • Philips Dimmer Button Controller
  • Samsung Zigbee Button
  • Sengled Button Controller
  • Sengled Element Classic
  • Sengled Element Color Plus
  • Sengled Element Plus
  • SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor V5
  • Xiaomi Aqara Mijia Sensors and Switches

Few errors = No errors

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but peanut plugs have proven troublesome. Also Aqara devices that are not Zigbee 3.0 certified will cause mesh issues, especially when used with non-compatible repeaters(peanut plug & ST Outlet).

Search the forums for Aqara issues and "peanut panic"

and about 50 other threads

1 Like

Odd that ... so far Xiaomi devices are the only device types not impacted by the problem!!

Edit: Just checked and the peanuts are not being used and in a box somewhere and were not connected ...

Anyhow, after repairing most everything + a few devices came back on their own, all settled down... im thinking that there is another hub some where.

are you in a townhome or condo where you have very close neighbors? And if the Aqara devices are not the newer Zigbee 3.0 type, they will cause issues

Yea close quarters to neighbors… not much I can do on that front ….

It is what it is … this is the first problem of this type since I migrate to the C7 2 years ago … could possibly be a device I have but more inclined to think something new near me was turned on

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.