All Leviton Z-Wave devices intermittently fail and require power cycle

I'm having the exact issue. I have 7 leviton outlets ZW15R-1BW and more than half of them occasionally becomes unresponsiveneeds to be power cycled through my breaker.

I see folks have some success of getting replacements. Does anyone mind sharing their experience dealing with leviton support?

Thanks!

you don't need new devices. you need new firmware. i hear that might be dropping soon

1 Like

I got a beta testing ota for my outlet... now gotta figure out how to flash the firmwares. They are taking forever.

Try simplicity studio 4 (not 5) with a zwave stick

2 Likes

Actually I was able to use the Hubitat built in device firmware updater to 100% upload the file. The update unfortunately failed though...

Was anyone able to successfully upgrade the firmware?

I was able to get all my ZW15R outlets updated to the beta firmware (1.11) from Leviton without having to buy a z-wave stick. Details are documented here in case anyone needs to follow the steps.

I hope I will no longer need to power cycle my switches... thanks all again!

1 Like

Where did you guys get the firmware? The reset thing is driving me crazy especially since the outlet is on the same circuit as my router and server

The links are at the bottom of this page:

There’s no firmware that’s publicly available at this time for the ZW15R (or any of the other 700-series devices, IIRC.)

1 Like

How does one get into the beta program? The having to reset via breaker is very frustrating. I was going to buy more but not until this is fixed

No clue, but a couple posters around here seem to be in - you could ask them. Sounds like the beta is going well, so hopefully they'll release it soon.

1 Like

I got the firmware through Leviton support

I first reached out to custsvc@leviton.com and they transferred me to talk to corporatetechsupport@levitonpartnerportal.com which got my problem resolved. I had to sign some stuff to get access to the beta program - there were no issues getting access to the files.

The outlets are working great so far. I didn't have to power cycle them anymore!

4 Likes

Thanks so much. Reached out to them and they promptly included me into the program.

1 Like

I am just starting into the smart home lighting and my Hubitat is arriving today, and I'm about to start installing my Leviton Z-wave switches, dimmers, and fan controls.

I see several people refer to having gotten the beta firmware for the ZW15R outlets. But has anyone been able to get a beta firmware for the ZW4SF fan controls (and if so, did it fix the dropping issue as others have reported it did for the ZW15R outlets?).

Thanks!

I had the same problem with a few outlets so I requested access to the beta and was given the outlet firmware. Shortly after that I started having frequent issues with my single fan controller. Did you ever get anywhere with fan firmware? If not, maybe I should reach out now that I joined the beta program.

definitely reach out to the beta program at leviton

Thanks for this. Same problem here. I've contacted Leviton and will wait for the firmware.

Well, unfortunate news. One of my outlets that I flashed with the beta firmware has become unresponsive again. It worked without fail for a few months, now that it has some decorative lights plugged in it has been getting more use and has stopped working. Haven't had a chance to flip the breaker yet so if it turns out to be more than just that I will report back.

Anyone else have any issues after updating firmware?

EDIT: Just flipped the breaker and the outlet started working again.

1 Like

Ugh, that's still not a good sign... Man, I wish Leviton would take this f/w-update stuff more seriously - that beta's been going on for over a year now. These are great looking outlets, but lack of support is smoking their marketshare.

I suspect Leviton is quietly throwing in the towel on z-wave, and that would be a bummer.

1 Like

I basically stopped buying in wall outlets due to lack of options and the cost is, in my opinion, a bit excessive. I know theres more hoops to jump through for in wall outlets than plug in ones but these issues really forced me to stop buying in wall even though I much prefer them in a lot of areas. My GE in wall outlets have been flawless but I have a hard time spending 50 bucks an outlet on 500 series zwave devices.

1 Like