Alexa

Does the new skill still send commands directly over the local network like the old Echo app did via the Hue hub emulation? Just wondering how much, if any, has changed to C2C.

Well, good news, found the problem

One of the outlets in the group was not responding, therefore hanging up everything behind it. Once I excluded it, re-added it, now everything is working very well

It appears to have stopped working just about the same time I added the new Skill, just a coincidence I guess

Rick

3 Likes

Just set up another hub and unfortunately it updated before I was able to install the Echo App. Until the skill is made available North of the 49th is there anyway to install the Echo App on my hub?

Live in hope that its soon, the only thing that's stopping me unplugging ST for good.

If you're not using Amazon Music, shopping via Alexa or using "Alexa, where's my stuff", then you can open a US Amazon account and you'll have access to not only all the skills, but Pandora too. No VPN required for access.

Just open the account, but don't enter a credit card. I think I did it without my US VPN enable too. I know that when I access Amazon.com, I'm not on a VPN. I'm American and have a US account, but I also setup a US account for my son to use Alexa on his Kindle Fire 8 and it wasn't necessary to add a credit card to the account.

On my Echo's I use my US account because I get all the latest skills and Pandora. I was able to get Amazon to link my Canadian Amazon Music to my US account login, so that is possible too. Might be a little different, since I do have a US credit card linked to my US account. Anyway, the point is, it's possible. I also prefer the US Alexa voice.

1 Like

I'd like to apologize again for how long this is taking. It really is such a simple thing. Amazon has had one issue after another on their side to simply open up the skill for multiple regions. They assure me they are looking into it and the moment I am able to confirm the issue is resolved we will submit the skill for final approval and they should be able to approve it within a day.

There is absolutely no difference in the code/skill functions whatsoever. It's all in the way amazon lets the skill be available to each region. So why it needs to even get re-approved is even more frustrating.

2 Likes

I previously had a US account a long time ago but was forced to convert to a Canadian account when I subscribed to Prime. I could create a second account with a different e-mail but would like to avoid that. At this point it is more of a matter of principle for me. I find Amazon and Google tend to lag in disseminating updates up here; forcing me to use US English to gain access to updates. Also, I have found US English Google has trouble understanding certain words, usually of French origin, and that combined with the lack of 'U's prevents me from making the change.

@coreylista Thanks for the update, I appreciate all the hard work you and the Hubitat team are putting into this. In the mean time is there any way I could side load the Echo App or am I stuck waiting for the Skill to come out?

I used to do that, but sadly my son plays music all the time which is connected to Prime :frowning: But thank you @SmartHomePrimer for the suggestion, and @coreylista for the update :+1:

Is there anyone else who see the following errors from the alexa app / skill in hubitat?

@bobbyD said this is a bug that should have been fixed. However I continually see this error in the logs.

It coincides with vlcthing functions, refresh, tts all will throw this error. I was just hoping someone out there may have some idea what call VLC thing is doing that is interfering with the alexa app in hubitat?

@mike.maxwell @bravenel

Can you go into the Alexa app and disable the skill, then re-enable it? You will be asked to login and authorize your hub and devices again. Don't change anything, just click Authorize. Then run a discovery. Don't delete the app or change any devices. This should just reset the token that Alexa uses to sync changes.

This shouldn't double up devices or make any major changes. It should simply re-authenticate you with Alexa.

Let me know how it goes please. Thanks!

@coreylista

Hi, disabling and reauthorizing the skill then rediscovering devices results in the same error.

I have also completed deleted the alexa skill app in hubitat, disabled the skill, deleted ALL alexa devices. Started from scratch, reintalled app, relinked the skill and authorized the devices, had alexa discover everything again, with end result being this same error.

Alexa is still working though right?

Amazon is currently getting crushed by their own Prime Day sales... so I’m not even able to use the Alexa app myself. Once they recover I’ll dig back into this issue.

Thanks for the update!

Yes everything seems to work fine.

I just see this error over and over and would like to be rid of it is all.

Any ideas on this?
@coreylista

Can you send me a screenshot of all the events the Alexa Skill is subscribed to? It seems like there might be a device that's constantly trying to send an event to Alexa. You can send it via PM.

I believe it is vlcthing as stated previously. These error always coincide with logs from there. I will get your screenshot shortly.

When i try to link the Hub with The amazon skill, i login and get link unsuccessful. Any get this ?

It seems this Topic is a little bit old, neverthless I'll try again in order to solve my problem.
I'm in Italy. I've got a brand new C5 HE. I installed Alexa app in HE (no skill yet available for Italy), I created a switch (only device in HE). I exposed the swith to alexa as in the following picture. I cannot let Alexa be aware (discover) of the switch. I tried it by voice, by app by pc (alexa.amazon.it).
What is wrong? When skill will be available (if ever…).

A massive amount of information on the subject in this thread. Here's a particular post from @patrick that may help resolve the issue. In the past, before the Skill was available, I had to reset my Echo to get it to work.

1 Like