Alexa will not link

When I start linking the hubitat app in Alexa app it sees my hub, I authorize devices then I get a linking unsuccessful message stating that Alexa app needs an update. I checked and the Alexa app is updated. Even uninstalled and re-installed it. Could it be referring to the Amazon Echo built in app inside the hub needing updated? I do have the latest version installed on hub. Do I have to update the built in apps manually somehow?

Thank You.

Could be the echo itself ... what models . Ask alexa if it needs an update.

I could be missing something, but I don’t think the Hubitat Alexa skill has any dependency on any Alexa device.

@user821 what is the name of the Hubitat app you are using for Alexa integration and what is the name of the Alexa skill for Hubitat you are using. Just wanting to make sure we’re all on the same page.

1 Like

This sounds a lot like the following thread

2 Likes

Yes - that is the issue I am experiencing...

i know I read that one as well and never really figured out what was going on there. I will read through it again. I am getting the exact same message.

I did ask Alexa to update the echo devices. That should be all good. I know the Alexa App is updated as well. Thank You.

There is an app inside of the hubitat called Amazon Echo Skill. In the Alexa I am trying to enable the "Hubitat" skill. That is what does not want to link to my hubitat account. I was linked and I had issues getting my hub to connect to the cloud. During that I unlinked the alexa skill to try and relink it. Well now the hubitat appears to be connected to the cloud, but now I cannot relink it. I also changed my account password because I had forgotten it after not using my hubitat hub for so long. Anyway I am using the new credentials when trying to link the alexa app. I wonder if there is some kind of backend thing on Hubitats side that is blocking the link since it was previously linked under my old password. The only other thing going on is I finally got my TP link Wifi attached so I could get the Alexa and Hubitat on the same wifi router and link them. It's annoying that I finally have the equipment ready and the software is locking me out. I really like this hubitat hub and am looking forward to be able to talk to it and tell lights to turn on off in addition to setting up dashboards. Thank You for your assistance.

Good to know I am not alone, but I am sorry you are having this issue as well. I read your thread when I was having this the other night. If I get it resolved I will message you. Keep me posted if you get it fixed. Thank You.

FYI - Hubitat’s Amazon Alexa integration does not require or locally use any of you Amazon Echo devices. It is an Amazon Cloud to Hubitat Cloud integration. You don’t even need to own an Amazon Echo physical device to use it. You can simply use the Alexa app on your smart phone or tablet.

It does require your Hubitat hub to be properly connected to the Hubitat cloud.

That makes sense. I can't get that far because the Alexa App will not link to my hubitat account now. It tells me the Alexa App needs an update. That is false. I uninstalled the app and re-installed it. It is updated, but its giving me this error when I try to authorize the link in the alexa app to my hubitat account. Thank You.

I guess I needed the wifi link to get the hub to the cloud. I could have used a ethernet cable to the wall but my children have occupied it with a gaming computer and my ISP got pissed when I added a switcher to the line. That's why I put the wifi on the hub. I'm not really knowledgeable on computer networking, but linking the hub to Alexa via the app should not be difficult. Thanks for clearing that up.

got it linked. On my system when the Alexa unable to link message appears, there is a very rapid message box that appears and quickly disappears at the bottom of my phone. I caught it just right and tapped it before it disappeared and the linking completed. The message was something like open the link in the Alexa app. Hope it helps your situation.

2 Likes

I finally got my linked as well. Since I moved I also changed phone carriers, and got a new phone, fresh install of alexa and the skill linked to my hubitat account.
Thanks for all the info and help!