Alexa Turn Off All the Lights (Big Issues)

I have a Virtual Switch in SmartThings that all of my lights are tied to. The switch is simply called "All the Lights".

With this Switch, I can tell Alexa to turn off all of the light or turn on all of the lights.

The issue is when I tell Alexa to turn off all the lights, Hubitat picks this command up for Alexa and she in turn turns off ALL SWITCHES in Hubitat. I don't want this because she turns off bypass switches and everything that has nothing to do with lights....

Any fixes? I am just going to disable Alexa in Hubitat until this is fixed.

Thanks.

1 Like

I believe that is probably an artifact of how Hubitat currently integrates with Alexa. Alexa 'sees' the Hubitat Elevation hub as a Philips Hue Bridge. As a result, everything is most likely detected by Alexa as a LIGHT. Hubitat is working on a native Alexa Skill which will probably solve this issue.

Until then, a possible workaround is to create an Alexa Routine for All On and another for All Off. Inside these routines, simply turn on/off your one Hubitat Virtual Switch. If you choose the name of your Routine correctly, it may override the behavior that you're currently seeing.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I just disabled Alexa in Hubitat and enabled the appropiate OH-SmartThing Devices in SmartThings for Alexa. The is no apparent delay.

1 Like

If you named it "House" you could just say "turn off the House" and it wouldn't effect all the lights, only the lights associated with "House".

1 Like

I have a "House" which turns off everything but I see what you are saying. Issue is already fixed on my end but @ogiewon explained what the real issue is which hopefully gets fixed.

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to chime in with my experience..

I have a virtual switch that prevents my basement "lights off after 30 minutes of inactivity" piston from running if it is "on" - I did this so people watching TV in the basement aren't hassled by lights turning off and on based on motion and timing.

Could not get it to function reliably via Alexa control until I created 2 routines per your suggestion - "Stop basement lights" & "Start basement lights". "Stop..." sets the virtual switch "on" and turns off the lights (they won't turn back on automatically). "Start..." turns on the lights and turns off the virtual switch..

Working great so far.. Thank you!!!

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but this issue still exists - I have several virtual switches such as 'Manual Illuminance Mode' which overrides any lighting automations, as well as 'Manual Heating Mode' which overrides any heating automations, when I say 'Alexa, turn off all the lights' I can see from the HE log that all these virtual switches are also turned off (even though Alexa recognises them as switches, rather than lights).

My workaround at the moment is to create a Smart Home Group in Alexa called 'All the lights' and include all the lighting devices into it, however it would be good if this could be fixed.

I had this issue. I read somewhere else that if you go into the device within the Alexa app, change it to light, save it and then revert it back it correctly acts as a switch or outlet and not a light. I did it for over 40 outlets and have had no issues since. It would be nice if it worked 1st time though...

1 Like

Good shout - all fixed now :smiley: