Alexa speak temperature

Some fyi about Alexa and temp sensors.
I was trying to make my Echo dots to say the temp on my Aqara sensors and did not find any easy way to do it....until i realised that all you have to do was make a group (like bedroom, basement etc) in the Alexa app and add the sensor in it!
No need to use RM or any VD just add the sensor. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community (I'm a little bit late on that) but I'm glad you're finding new and exciting ways to improve your environment. As you probably already know, because you've been reading for a bit before your first post, that the community is an excellent source. Thanks for taking the plunge and contributing. I hope you continue to have fun and throw out your findings and ideas to others here.
Welcome to the
:hole::rabbit2:

2 Likes

Good tip! That's what I ended up doing, too--creating a "group" in Alexa called something like "Basement Sensor" since Hubitat names for devices (like "Basement Temperature/Humidity Sensor 1") aren't always easy to make work with a voice assistant. I was about to make "mirrored" virtual devices on Hubitat (with some work) before I realized that I could just do that and get 99% of what I wanted instead. :slight_smile:

(The remaining 1% is different precision; I don't really care that the basement is 74.23 degrees, but that's what the sensor reports and Alexa dutifully reads and makes me listen to. I used to do this by passing the device to SmartThings via HubConnect, using a webCoRE piston to trim the value down and assign it to a virtual device, then have Alexa use that device. With that plus thermostat support on Alexa now, I finally have no need for ST at all, even for auxiliary uses like this.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.