Alexa skill support for thermostats?

Ummm... Pretty much every cloud platform? Don't think you can backup Google routines/programming either... And I could name probably 5 others, too.

But don't get me wrong, I agree that is stupid.

1 Like

hello eric, can you please help. I'm also new to everything hubitat. and confused. what did you mean exactly... "then used the app with the thermostat pointed to my thermostat and the dimmer pointed to the virtual dimmer called Thermostat, shared the virtual dimmer with the Alexa skill" i am lost i have made the virtual dimmer but lost after that.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

So first, you have to add the user app that elfege pasted the code for above.

Then open the user app, under "select a thermostat" you will select your actual thermostat and under "select a dimmer" choose your virtual dimmer.

Then, in Alexa, when you discover the virtual dimmer (should be called thermostat), Alexa will allow you to say "set thermostat to X" where X is the desired temperature, and Hubitat will receive the virtual dimmer setting and via the user app will cause the real thermostat setting to be updated to the same as the virtual dimmer setting.

You can also create virtual switches called "Heat" and "AC" to allow for telling Alexa to "turn heat on", "turn heat off", "turn AC on", and "turn AC off". To do this, use the Rule Machine to create a new rules named Heat ON, Heat OFF, AC ON, and AC OFF. The trigger events for each rule will be the switches named Heat and AC, turned off or on depending on which switch you're creating. And then the capability for each trigger event is Thermostat mode, set to "heat", "cool", "off", etc. Then simply have Alexa discover the virtual switches and you'll be able to tell her to turn heat or AC off or on.

What about a home with multiple thermostats?

Same deal. Create more virtual switches with unique names - there's no limitation on the number of virtual devices you make, or rules to use them to control physical devices.

It is really easy to get around the lack of an Alexa skill for thermostats with momentary switches and virtual dimmers. I posted a sample rule in the other Alexa thermostat skill thread.

1 Like

Hello everybody,

I no longer use the applet posted above so I'm not monitoring any potential unexpected issue. BUT I do have written a more complete app that will adjust your thermostat using the same principle, but with many more options and features because I was not happy with RM for what regards thermostats management: not that it can't already do what my app does, but every little modification takes so many clicks and page refresh that I was losing my patience over it - when one can code, it's easier and faster to just do so! :slight_smile:

Here is the app: Thermostat Manager

If you want, you can also try the A.I. based app that will work in pair with the Thermostat Manager . It won't change your thermostat settings but will adjust your virtual dimmer based on your manual inputs: it learns what temperature you prefer to have for a specific range of outside temperature and humidity and when these circumstances happen again on another date, it'll remember what you liked. It's a pretty heavy db but it works well on my platform. Frequent updates.

A.I. Thermostat Set Point Manager

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this. This is absolutely brilliant. Makes alexa work perfectly with my go control thermostat. Simply awesome!

Thank you for using this app. Please, make sure to update with the latest version I just posted on my repository. This is an important update. Make sure you go back to settings and verify all settings are to your liking after pasting the new code on your platform. Let me know if there's any issue. Thank you.