Alexa Skill response when asked to turn ON a light that is already ON

First I have to say the Alexa integration is GREAT! :slight_smile: We've been using it for some time now and find it rock solid.

My question is; Is it possible to modify Alexa's response to a request to turn on a light that is already on?

Currently Alexa replies "Sorry Window Light is not responding" where "Window Light" is the name of the light being commanded.

I didn't test the opposite condition (i.e. OFF when OFF) but I would expect the same response.

I think it must be your devices that aren't giving the right status. If I ask Alexa to turn on or off my Insteon, Hue or Sengled bulbs connected directly to the hub, when they're already in either of those states, the response is always "OK".

Interesting,

The two "devices" I've tested are:

1. Generic ZWave Switch
  2. Group Bulb dimmer

I'll have to try some other device(s).

Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm experiencing the same Alexa response. I get the "not responding" response when asking to turn on and already-on light. Nearly all of my devices are z-wave, so can't say its z-wave devices only. I tested the "turn off" when already-off - I get the same "not responding" response. So I'm wondering if it may be how the Alexa skill might be handling a "same-state" request.

And I'm also getting the same "not responding" behavior with group dimmers (also z-wave based).

I'd like to add, for me this isn't a big issue I just thought it was worth mentioning. I still think the Alexa Skill Rocks and this peculiarity is not detracting from our user experience.

Im experiencing the same Alexa response. I get the "not responding" but the switch will turn on or off first then I get "not responding", it is just one dimmer switch that doing that. tried switching to Generic z-wave smart dimmer, Generic z-wave smart switch, even tried Generic z-wave switch.

• deviceType: 17495
  • inClusters: 0x26,0x2B,0x2C,0x27,0x73,0x70,0x86,0x72
  • deviceId: 12340
  • manufacturer: 335

I just tested my lights and I have the same result. This is only happening with the HE Alexa skill. Hue bridge, lutron and ST don't seem to have this problem.

Any update on this ? I'm having same issue.

I should really say that i'm frustrated at this point spending 24 hours trying to get this working. I'm tempted to go back to ISY.

my issues is:
Alexa turn on porch - "sorry porch is not responding."

I do have other devices responding to commands.

Does the switch actually turn and Alexa get's it wrong? That is what this issue is about. Alexa does not get a response before her time out. If the light doesn't change at all that is something different.

By the way this not just HE related. I use Hue through a bridge and not through HE to integrate with Alexa, Occasionally she will tell me a light didn't respond when I just watched it change.

Creating a virtual switch in the same trigger worked.. Thank you.

I've been seeing the same for a while now and though not a huge deal it can be annoying for the WAF. I'm mostly seeing it with groups which leads me to another question around best practice. I have around 8 different switches that I want to turn on when I say "Turn on the Christmas Lights". As a best practice should I create a group in HE and add all switches to that group and then call that Group from Alexa or should I add all switches to a group in Alexa and call the Alexa group? Any ideas on what works best or is recommended? Should it matter?

I do something similar with a virtual switch and my β€˜one to many’ app

Alexa controls a single switch with a fast response so always says β€˜ok’
One to many makes the β€˜many’ follow the actions of the virtual :slight_smile:

I know... shameless plug (again!)

Andy

1 Like

Out of curiosity wouldn't a HE group or scene create the same One to Many relationship? Wouldn't Alexa only see the group as a single device? Or does Alexa see it as a true group and is waiting on each device to respond?

Another person with the same issue. Does not seem limited to particular devices/zigbee or Z-Wave (Lutron always seems to work). If I use the Alexa app to turn devices on or off and get everything in-sync, the voice commands seem to work again for a bit. Any help with confirmed best practices would be appreciated, but I'm not looking forward to creating lots of virtual devices. [As others have mentioned, the occurrence does generate lots of additional conversations with Alexa, including "Alexa you are stupid" with a "I don't understand that" response or otherwise offering to accept my feedback via the app.]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.