Alexa Skill Documentation

I had the same issue with 'hall lights' mistakenly activating 'all lights'. I solved it by creating an Alexa device group named 'all lights' and leaving it empty. Now if my Echo hears what it thinks is turn on (or off) 'all lights' , it will just respond "all lights doesn't support that" (due to the null contents of the group) and no devices are affected.

I also use a group called "all house lights" which I use as a substitute for 'all lights'. Somehow I found that easier to live with than training myself to substitute 'hallway lights' for 'hall lights'.

3 Likes

Had to think for a minute why I’ve never experienced that when turning on my hall light

:bulb: It’s because it’s a hall light (singular).
So you could just drop the “s”, because it would will never find a light named “all light” is my assumption why this isn’t a problem for me.

1 Like

I had similar issues until I renamed the alexa group ‘hallway lights’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what I did as well. Except I put in a custom response from Alexa. If she hears "all lights" she will respond with "Did you mean hall lights?". Of course then I just issue the command and try to be clearer.

Yeah I get that. Trying to make my voice automations guest friendly. So when there are multiple lights - guests typically use the plural.

4 Likes

Makes sense. My guests don’t need to turn on the hall light. Motion sensors.

2 Likes

is it safe to assume that I should disable the Alexa/Lutron integration and remove all of those devices prior to adding the Hubitat/Alexa integration? Also can I control 3 shades at one time with this integration? our family room has 3 separate windows that we have grouped as a scene within Lutron app

I'll try to read back through the previous 65 comments & look at other resources online before doing anything

great work around, I've previously created multiple scenes in Alexa to cover any plurals or alternate names our guests may try to use.

1 Like

Actually I use the Lutron skill for Alexa to control my Lutron lights by voice. I didn’t see any particular advantage to having my Lutron devices linked to Alexa through the hubitat skill.

1 Like