Alexa Skill Documentation

Just checking on my Alexa set-up and noticed that I hadn't added my thermostat. So I added it to the Amazon Echo Skill and did discovery in the Alexa app, but the thermostat is not showing up.

Are thermostats currently supported in the Amazon Echo Skill?

I don’t believe so. I couldn’t get my Zen discovered.

I installed this a while back. A few days ago I added some devices to Hubitat, and the Alexa app, but they never showed up. Today I went in and all smartthings and Hubitat devices say offline, but still worked. Discovery said nothing new was found. So I removed all, now neither ST or Hubitat devices are discovered.

I know @patrick said that a single Echo becomes the boss, but I tried discovery from the website as well.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

After removing all skills and apps, then reinstalling, got both systems working again!

Edit: I lied, it failed to link "at this time." on Hubitat.

Is your Hubitat hub being assigned a static IP address by your router's DHCP server? Not sure if the HE hub changing its address would impact the Alexa Skill or not, but no need to risk it. I have heard that a changing IP address on the HE hub can cause the hub to lose its registration temporarily on the Hubitat cloud server.

I've got static assignments for everything. But I did fix it, after trying to reconnect via firefox, chrome, edge, and IE, one of them eventually worked without the error. Tried about 20 times! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Apologies for the erratic Alexa behavior the past few days. Amazon has slowly been rolling out a new interface for smart home skills and it’s causing all kinds of problems. Including getting approved for multiple regions.

I was hoping they’d have the issue resolved by now, but it might not be fixed until Monday. I wouldn't disable/remove the skill because its hit or miss if you will be able to install it as you've noticed. I'd recommend just going into the app and clicking done. Then run a discovery. It'll have more success than removing the skill.

2 Likes

@coreylista

I am seeing this error message in the log every minute. Any idea whats causing it?

Looking a little a bit closer I think this error is being caused by my vlcthing port. I am not exactly sure why though.

Are buttons supported? None of my virtual buttons are getting discovered.

I've been told by someone, can't recall whom wrote it, that it worked for them. Never works for me. I use virtual switches with a 1 second to off setting. If they don't work, put them in an Alexa Group and then they will.

Doug

That's a good idea, the 1 second to off setting. Now I have to change everything though. :smiley: Good thing I love this sh!

Ideas...I've had a few...:notes:

Have you guys signed up for Alexa Notifications developer beta?

http://dev.amazonappservices.com/AVS-Blog-Notifications-Form_AVS-Blog-Notifications-Subscription-Page.html

1 Like

@coreylista are there still known issues with Alexa Skill? Every time I try to setup the Hubitat skill in the Alexa app, I get a generic "We were unable to link Hubitat at this time".

If I watch the logs at the same time, I see the following items:

[app:348](http://192.168.1.51/logs#app348)2018-08-22 13:57:09.852:errorgroovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Request (handleAuth)
[app:348](http://192.168.1.51/logs#app348)2018-08-22 13:57:08.401:infoAlexa Skill Discovery Requested

I had the old Alexa integration (Hue emulation) previously, but it has been removed.

Looks like it was a bug that has been fixed in firmware 1.1.2.121 and I was running 1.1.2.112. I've upgraded to the latest firmware and everything is working as expected (1.1.3.114). Thanks to the HE team for their quick help!

1 Like

New user here, Just trying to setup basic echo integration. Hubitat running 1.1.3.116 but when I try to add the echo skill I get "This integration requires that you update your Hubitat Elevation platform before it will work. Your hub must be on version 1.1.0 or higher."

contact support@hubitat.com. This has plagued a few of us. I believe it's a cloud issue, but support is going to be able to resolve that for you.

Looks like Hue devices are still not passing-through to the Alexa via the Hubitat Skill? This caught me off guard at first until I read this post. Looks like the best option is to create custom groups / virtual switches and map those to the difference hue devices and expose those to Alexa. This should meet my needs but just wanted to express how this felt odd and caused a bit of troubleshooting.

My individual Hue devices/bulbs show up in Alexa using the skill without issue.

Hue devices attached via a Hue bridge, or directly to the Hubitat?