Alexa not setting switch to off

I have several Osram Lightify light bulbs that are not being set to off when I turn them off using voice with Alexa. The light turns off but the switch still shows as on in the device page. If I hit refresh in the Hubitat device page it will be updated to off. It is using the generic zigbee device controller. If I switch to the zigbee white color tempature bulb controller it works for setting the switch on and off but i am unable to dim. Anyone using these lights successfully?

Data
endpointId: 03
application: 01
model: LIGHTIFY A19 ON/OFF/DIM
manufacturer: OSRAM

1 Like

I am seeing the correct behavior with Alexa voice command for on/off and dim when used with an Osram tuneable White bulb with the zigbee white color temperature driver (the status on the Hubitat device page updates without needing to be refreshed).

With that driver I see the correct status but am unable to dim the lights. Can you dim?

Yes I can say “dim light to x%” and it works as expected (as does on/off). Are you also using a tuneable white bulb, or a regular white Osram bulb?

Regular. It’s an older one

I have an Osram non-tuneable bulb but it’s still on SmartThings. Btw, have you updated the firmware on these? There were several firmware updates since I purchased mine a couple of years ago. I updated some using the Lightify hub but the most recent updates were done by SmartThings OTA.

I didn’t manually update the firmware - I always left that to Smartthings. I will have To take a look at the firmware today… for now I am just not directly exposing the light bulb to Alexa and instead and using a virtual dimmer and a simple rule to trigger the switch to the off state properly.
I need to know when it is off for another rule (two bedroom lamps that have a virtual dimmer to control both at once - but if turned off individually then I need to toggle the virtual switch when both are at the off state)

1 Like

In a bunch of testing with my dimmable Sengled Classic E11-G13 bulbs, I found that the displayed state on the device page for the bulb was sometimes out of sync. I reported this on another thread here, and @mike.maxwell explained why this happens with reporting on a setlevel change, and said it can be fixed. So, hopefully it's not any big reason for concern. More important is whether the bulbs themselves are turning on or off or set to a specific level as asked.

Using the Generic Zigbee Bulb device driver on Hub v704, I can ask Alexa to set the level of my Sengled Classic bulbs and it works perfectly. When viewing any of the bulbs in their Device details page, the current states are staying in sync 100%. So maybe that fix was already implemented in v704.

Are you using the Generic Zigbee Bulb device driver and Hub v704?

Yes. I am using the generic zigbee build driver and version 704. The bulbs work with Alexa and turns on and off and are dummable. It’s just the state of the switch that isn’t being triggered to off (even though it is turned off).
I have a rule that is triggered when the switch changes to off - but that rule fails to run because the switch never reaches that state. If I manually set the switch to off or hit refresh on the device details page then the rule runs just fine.
In the Alexa app if you toggle the device off it nevers shows that it completes - the image of the light in the app stays lit even though the light has turned off.
It’s nothing critical - I was just wondering if someone had them working fully. I will most likely replace these with some other bulbs I have laying around.

Just a quick note on zigbee devices.
If Hubitat discovers them as a device, and you manually switch the driver to one that works, make sure that you run the configure method in the device UI so the drivers configuration settings are sent to the device.
Most zigbee devices have report configurations that need to be set in order for them to work correctly, these settings are typically removed when the device is reset.

3 Likes

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that… I will have to give it a try

So I finally got around to moving my lone non-tuneable Osram Lightify A19 bulb (model 73824) off of ST and on to HE and ran into behavior similar to this (note that I never got as far as trying to operate it with Alexa; the issue which follows kind of made that irrelevant but the incorrect 'off' status behavior is similar to what @jandrews reported).

The bulb was reset and paired with no problem (discovered as Generic Zigbee Bulb on 1.1.1.119 hub FW). It turns on and off directly from the HE UI just fine, however it will not indicate 'off' status on the UI unless a second press of the 'Off' button on the Device page occurs, or a refresh is done. An automation with RM fails to turn it off on the first try (I didn't try a redundant turnoff from RM).

It always indicates 'on' status correctly with a single press of 'on' from the UI, and will physically turn on and off correctly with a single press of 'on' or 'off' from the hubs UI, but the status shown won't update to 'off' properly without a second press. Watching the event logs when this happens, if the bulb is 'on', pressing 'off' indicates an 'on' event being logged (??)

I reset the bulb again, found the same behavior (note that I did do 'Configure' after the join but it made no difference) and finally gave up and substituted a spare Cree Zigbee bulb which works without issues. Very strange...

Do you have an Osram bridge you can upgrade the firmware with or is it already there? I recall someone saying they were a bear to pair. I believe they have firmware updates that resolve some of the pairing issues. I no longer have Osram bulbs becuase I had pairing issues and I just returned them instead of getting a bridge and trying to make them work.

Yes, I do have the Osram bridge and used it in the past to do firmware upgrades on them before SmartThings started doing it OTA. This particular bulb got upgraded once while on SmartThings (and was on its current ST target level as of today) but I did not check to see if Osram had a further update available. I know my problem of spontaneous turn-ons was fixed in a prior firmware update.

Agreed, these bulb reset rituals are very tedious. And there seem to be many flavors of them to try. At least all the Osram reset sequences seem to agree on the cadence (equal time toggling on/off, whether 3 seconds or 5 seconds is the right time seems to be debatable). I tried three versions of Cree reset sequences before I found one that worked (3 seconds off/ 1 second on, thanks to Reddit).

Tricky to get right. Worked only once for me, but I have Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes and they work every time to reset the Cree. Valuable tool and a decent dimmer too. It's too bad nothing has come to market to take its place.

I either have to look at a clock with a sweep hand, or say the word "alligator" to approximate each second while keeping track of the iteration count on my fingers and counting down the seconds. Then do it all over again because the first time always fails. But hey, at least I don't feel guilty about skipping my Lumosity session for the day.

The Lutron remotes sound interesting; that's one ecosystem I somehow never adopted.

1 Like