Alexa Not Finding Your Devices?

If you have any fancy routers or switches, turn off “spanning tree”. That will help with discovery.

Rats! You’re previous trick isn’t working now? Never did hear the details of what you did last time to solve the issue. What was it?

You’ve installed the Hue skill correct? If so, tried removing the skill and then reinstalling it? For whatever reason, that is necessary every so often with the Insteon Alexa skill to get things working again.

One request for those having issues. Please try this. Log out of your Alexa app on your mobile phone and then log back in and then try discover devices from that phone / app.

Also, please let me know if you have the original v1 Alexa devices, or any v2 or any Sonos One with Alexa (or any 3rd party with Alexa integrated)

Thermostats

1 Like

This worked for me, thanks!

1 Like

I'm having the exact same problems as many in this thread. I have a much simpler setup than most, so perhaps my spartan setup can be useful for troubleshooting. I've got a Netgear router and a single Alexa Echo. I've followed the various suggestions of resetting the Echo, forgetting all devices on both the Alexa app and from the computer. I've rebooted the HE several times, I've asked the Alexa to discover devices via voice, iPhone app and computer. I've forgotten all of the devices from the computer connection. Nothing. I've only transferred 2 zigbee lights over to HE thus far, one osram flex strip and one sengled bulb. Both were reset to factory to allow discovery, both are seen and responsive to commands via the HE GUI. I'd really like to get Alexa to see those two devices, having to operate them via the GUI or actually get up and unplug or flip the switch is just gross. Who does that.

Any thoughts on what I can try next? I'm pretty tech savvy and don't mind breaking things, my venture into home automation is just beginning and there is nobody here to yell at me for breaking the house.

2 Likes

Since you haven't mentioned it already... Have you added the Hubitat "Amazon Echo App" to your list of active Hubitat Apps yet? Once you add that app, you must then configure it to expose the switches and dimmers you want Alexa to be able to discover.

You have probably already done this, but I thought it worthwhile to make sure...

Also, don't forget you can use the Hubitat "Dashboard" app to provide another, simple method to perform remote control of devices as well.

Yep, I have installed the Alexa app and added the devices to it.

No release date, but the hub firmware will be updated soon to support the Hubitat Alexa Skill that is already available, but needs the hub update to make it functional. That should resolve these issues for those that are having them.

3 Likes

Add another to the list having issues with Alexa. Running Google mesh WiFi and V1 Echo

You are running the current Hubitat firmware, right? And you're using the Hubitat Alexa Skill?

Current firmware and have the Alexa App installed on the hub. The skill app will not link for me (Linking unsuccessful error) and IFTTT will also not link (error)

Do you have a firewall or unusual LAN setup?

Of course I'm running a firewall, I'm a Network guy you know :slight_smile:

But nothing major setup, just the typical NAT / default configuration. Do I need to open any ports / setup UPNP, etc?

Here's the error from Amazon when I try to link the skill:

https://skills-store.amazon.com/external/link-result?success=false&errorKey=invalid-state&languageCode=en_US

Is your hub even registered? We don't see it.

If so, please go to settings page and get the hubUID.

I installed Echo skills , created a new amazon account to enable Alexa Hubitat skills , reboot the hub, Echo plus still couldn't discover devices. Any idea?

P.S. My router is Netgear R7000, Hub Firmware 1.1.3.116 . I can see token established for Hubitat and Echo from Amazon Echo Skills log through hub interface..

I was able to set up a GE dimmer switch for lamps in Alexa using the skills app. I am now trying to set up two virtual switches that I have created in Hubitat. They work as switches inside the hub but Alexa won't discover them. Any thoughts?

When I rename a device on Hubitat , the Alexa Hubitat app is not seeing that changed device name change and is still using the original name when I use voice commands. How do I get the Hubitat Alexa App to recognize the new name and for it to be pushed up to Alexa in the cloud?

Go into the alexa skill on your hubitat and then just hit "done". That will force it to refresh and see the new name. Without going in there the device name is still the old name.

1 Like