Alexa no longer knows the difference between devices named lights and lamps

This worked before for about two 2 years. I recently noticed it stopped working properly.
The devices work great in all other Hubitat apps, dashboards, and groups.

I name all my devices in HUBITAT in this format:

ROOM_NAME SIMPLE_NAME

For example, in my master bedroom I have a ceiling light and ceiling fan controlled by an ENERWAVE ZWAVE DUAL RELAY named MASTER BEDROOM LIGHT and MASTER BEDROOM FAN respectively, and some lamps controlled by GE ZWAVE dual outlet called MASTER BEDROOM LAMPS since they control lamps.

For years this worked well.

Recently, the LAMPS device is no longer acknowledged and is confused for the LIGHTS device by Alexa.

For example:

Turn on/off MASTER BEDROOM LIGHT works fine.
Turn on/off MASTER BEDROOM FAN works fine.
Turn on/off MASTER BEDROOM LAMPS controls the LIGHTS and not the LAMPS anymore.

I have tried removing and adding them from the HUBITAT ALEXA app. Seems to go smoothly. My Alexa phone app even tells I have 3 new devices added and tells me their unique names for them and they all match the expected names.

When I try the commands, they still do not work properly.

Turn on/off MASTER BEDROOM LIGHT works fine.
Turn on/off MASTER BEDROOM FAN works fine.
Turn on/off MASTER BEDROOM LAMPS controls the LIGHTS and not the LAMPS anymore.

I'm running latest firmware. I always download/install the latest as soon as it is available for better or worse.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Yes. This is entirely at the Alexa end. Nothing that Hubitat can do to fix this, outside of recommending that light and lamp not be preceded by the same word.

See this thread

4 Likes

Well that’s actually a relief. At least I know where the problem is and that it isn’t some weird Hubitat config issue.

1 Like

When my kid tries to turn on her lamp in her room sometimes Alexa feels like she should turn on the "lamp" inside the oven in the kitchen, a totally different room. I tell Alexa she is stupid probably daily, usually with some expletives included as well. One time she actually thanked me for the feedback.

If you try and complain to Amazon via an email they just tell you to call support and I can only imagine what that would be like. Would spend hours of troubleshooting that I already did and they say they don't know what the problem is, escalate it, and never get back to you.

3 Likes

Been there, done that.

1 Like

Yes happened to me and I posted the other thread that @aaiyar linked. I was convinced it must be a HE app bug as mine too has always worked that way without issue. I have to say that if I’d initially accepted the response that @aaiyar and the others offered and simply changed the name of “lights” I’d have saved myself an evening trying to prove those that knew better than me wrong! A lesson learned.

4 Likes