Alexa Duplicate Devices?

Some background:

I have a Hue Bridge that I use to control my Hue Lights, as well as other (Cree) dimmable bulbs. I have the Hue integrated with Hubitat via the built in integration app.

I have a bunch of Alexa devices around the home, with Hubitat Alexa Integration

I am noticing that the Cree Bulbs are being discovered twice by Alexa, once as a "Lux Light" and once as a Dimmable Light. I go in and remove ("forget") one or the other in Alexa, but after a time or when I run a device discovery on Hubitat to install a new device, or whenever I then discover devices in Alexa, it comes back.
See below (alexa):

Hubitat (motion sensor is obviously not in Amazon :smile: )

• Family Room Fan is actually a Lutron Caseta in wall Switch (not dimmer - the on/off switch).
  • Family Room Floor Lamp is a Cree Connected Bulb attached to the Hue Bridge
  • Family Room Lamp is a GE ZWave Plug in Switch with a lamp attached
  • Family Room Overhead is a Lutron Caseta Dimmer

As you can see the Floor Lamp is discovered 2x in Alexa - which is wreaking havoc with voice commands "There are multiple devices with that name ...."

The only way I can think of fixing this is to rename the Cree Bulb in HE, Remove the bulb from authorization for the Alexa integration and creating a virtual dimmer for Alexa use - but there has to be a better way to control this

Anyone else having this issue? Workarounds/Fixes? Is this an HE issue? Amazon Issue?

For the record, I do not have a Hue Skill enabled on the Alexa account.

Try removing the problem bulb from the HE Echo app and forget both instances of it in Alexa. Then do a rediscovery...does Alexa find anything regarding the lamp again?
I ask because all my bulbs in HE are found as Lux bulbs and I'm wondering if the other instance is outside of the HE somehow.

I forget the details now, but I remember there are 2 ways to get your Hue bulbs into Alexa. One was with the standard skill and I can't remember the other way at the moment....but I used it to have my Hue bulbs directly integrated with Alexa without the skill myself.

Thanks
When I get home Iโ€™m going to forget both reset the bulb repair to hue and see what happens - itโ€™s just odd

So I tried a BUNCH of things and kept running into the same issue(s) - so I wound up removing my Hue integration, renaming all the hue bulbs with a "HUE_" prefix, reinstalling the hue integration and editing each bulb to remove the prefix

Alexa still sees both the HUE_LightName and LightName but it doesnt break voice control this way.

What I really need is to find a way to prevent Alexa from discovering anything from the Hue Bridge :frowning:

I don't understand the use case. Why have Hue lights selected in the Hubitat Alexa app? I'm using the Hue Integration app and don't need to select them in the Hubitat Alexa app to be able to control them from both Alexa and Hubitat.

Oddly I was not able to see / control them in Hubitat otherwise ... I can try again when I get a chance this weekend

Ah, are you perhaps talking about the status in the Hubitat UI? If I ask Alexa to turn on a Hue light, it will take 42 seconds before I see the status automatically reflected in HE, and 20 seconds before I see the status update when I ask Alexa to turn them OFF. If I click the Refresh button, the status updates are immediate.

There was much discussion around the polling just after the .706 release. @mike.maxwell suggested there might be a way to change it and @patrick suggested that a rule would more aggressively poll. I have not found that to work. Seems the limitation may be in the official Hue API and the only way to possibly get around it is to go "off script".

In my experience, once Alexa has found a hue bridge there is nothing you can do to stop her from adding those devices on that bridge back to her list after a discovery is run. Even if you delete them from the Alexa app or website. Alexa also doesn't remove a device automatically if you've removed it from being discoverable. You will need to remove the device from both the Alexa app, as well as the Echo App for it to be completely removed, otherwise another discovery will bring it back to life.

The new Alexa Skill will have some built in options to help alleviate some of these issues. Still no firm release date, but the Alexa skill is very close to being finished, and now has the ability to actually lock/unlock/arm/disarm via PIN code! They just released this long awaited feature and it will be supported by our Official Alexa Skill.

2 Likes

@coreylista thanks for the update - so will this skill replace the current Alexa integration native application, or extend it?

Just curious about the architecture direction

It will be replacing the current Alexa Echo app. Using a smart home skill provides instant feedback, full RGBW control, and the ability to keep Alexa in sync with the current state of each device that she is allowed access to. It sould also eliminate the discovery issues that a few people seem to have.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.