Alexa Audio announcements

Hi, I searched the forum with little success before posting. I have the Alexa app, and all is working well, but I cannot figure out how to make my echo devices announce audible alerts like door open or light left on etc. I use pushover for alerts, which works well for my devices, but I can't find any of my echos.

Any advice or link to previous posts I might have missed?

4 Likes

Amazon doesn't allow commercial 3rd party services to take over their devices, so there is no built-in functionality for what you are looking for. However, there is a community effort to allow that kind of integration.
Check out the link @thebearmay shared above.

2 Likes

In addition to methods already mentioned above, there is a way that does not require any custom code. By exposing Contact Sensors, Motion Sensors, and/or Lock Devices to Alexa using Hubitat’s built-in Amazon Echo Skill, you can create Alexa Routines within the Alexa mobile app that are triggered by the above types of devices. Within those Alex routines, you can make an Echo “speak” a static phrase, like “The kitchen door is open.”

One can also also create Virtual Hubitat contact sensors and motion sensors and use those as Alexa Routine triggers to speak other phrases if desired. Again, these phrases are statically defined within the Alexa Routines.

The Community developed Echo Speaks integration, mentioned above, can use dynamic phrases and cause Alexa to speak those. But, it is a somewhat complex setup, especially now that Heroku is planning to charge to use there services. Hosting the cookie refresh code locally will require users to run an always on RPi or similar, I believe.

5 Likes

Hi,

This makes sense now. I understand the logic behind the existing sensors and the virtual components to make Alexa say something using virtual technology. I did not think about the internal integration. Thank you all for the quick response.

1 Like

This is what I’m doing. Since it is a static phrase per device, you have to create a number of virtual Hubitat devices, one virtual device for each phrase. It works well, though.

I tried Echo Speaks, but I kept having problems with it. It would work for awhile and then stop working. The problem may have to do with the Heroku server that is required (see ogiewon’s earlier post above).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.