Alexa as a siren?

I have Alexa devices in almost all rooms. Is it possible for me to use them as a sort of Siren? While Hubitat is armed, and motion happens, can I play some siren sound from Alexa?
I cannot seem to find any Siren device meeting my needs. Zooz has a siren, but I am reading bad reviews. Dome has a siren but seems ugly and with no additional sensors.

It may be possible to play something via @tonesto7's Echo Speaks integration. However, I would strongly recommend not being cloud dependent for a siren. I have the Aeotec Doorbell 6, which also doubles as a siren. It has worked well for ~2 years.

@aaiyar Any idea of where to get these? Cant seem to find them available anywhere

1 Like

@aaiyar Cool... I'm not sure that I need to button. Is the siren/doorbell part the same as the siren without the button?

1 Like

Yes.

@aaiyar Nice... one more question, is the "strobe" bright or just a "glow" I want the strobe part to flash bright. And can you activate the light without the audible siren?

It is pretty bright (the color is a daylight white). And yes, you can activate the strobe alone.

Thanks for all of the good info.... I am replacing a linear (go control) siren/strobe that the battery won't last hardly at all... it is also a bit cantankerous.

1 Like

The aeotec siren 6 is also available on Amazon.

1 Like

I use an Aeotec Gen 5 doorbell as my siren/notification device. Unfortunately, the Gen 5 doorbell is no longer available. The nice thing is that you could program 99 separate alarm signals. The newer Gen 6 is limited.

I also have Echo Speaks. I use Echo Speaks to announce things like "the washer has finished", but I would not want to rely on it as my only alarm. It your Internet connection is down or intentionally disabled, then it would not work.

If you use a combination of Aeotec Siren and Echo Speaks you can have the siren alert you with a tone and Echo Speaks provide you with specific details of the alert. That is the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Echo Speaks can be used to play some sounds as well as "music" with supported Alexa devices (there are several sound effects libraries in amazon music, for example).
Here is the docs for play sound by name: Speech - Echo Speaks Documentation

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.