Alarm system suggestions for a new build

Just curious, what system were you using?

Currently Microtech / Honeywell Galaxy.
It’s a very old house with very thick stone internal walls so not a typical install

Likely moving to Texecom Elite.

This seems like a whole different topic but it is material to the original poster's interest.

Anybody else finding their perfectly good & functional security sys w/ 2G/3G cellular radio looking at EOL as a result of cellular providers retiring 2G and 3G service?

Something to consider, ...radio upgradability. Not all vendors are good about this....and over the useful life of a security system sold w/4G today it might matter.

Good point, but not sure you have much choice, other than buying something that has a replaceable radio module. I just bought a new panel a few weeks ago, and there's no systems currently being sold that use 5G, at least not in the US (according to the supplier I use).

FWIW, out of the blue a few months ago my monitoring service sent me a new 4G communicator module at no cost ago for an old Simon XTi panel I'm still using. I would have thought that would be EOL by now and was planning on replacing the panel anyhow.

Big fan of konnected, although I went the DIY route is absence of an existing hardwired alarm.

So I have a variety of nodemcu's connected to wired 12v motion sensors, external ac sensors, 12v sirens, ac smokes and various lighting solutions and webcore/tasker hooked up to an android phone.

I have my system setup so that I can easily choose my contacts who are sent a custom text (3g) if anything goes funky.

More than happy for a non-professional system here.

1 Like

We have close to the same config as Terk mentioned. We "upgraded" from a $10k HAI Omni II set up (circa 2002) to konnected.io in order to keep those critical, low maintenance hardwired sensors. We moved to Hubitat after I plugged the wrong white power adapter into my Smartthings hub and fried it, only to find out I couldn't restore the config from a cloud back-up.... (unacceptable product flaw). On top of the fabulous hard-wired contact sensors, I have layered in wireless motion detectors. I also installed a Flo by Moen and just over a dozen water sensors (awesome to stop water remotely) and a Ring system with cameras in front and back.

WRT - should you strategically place pre-wired repeaters? ABSOLUTELY if you can afford it. Anything you can do to not deal with batteries will be a relief when you are away from your retreat. Just make sure you can swap the repeaters out when newer better technology is available. :slight_smile: :grinning:

On your hub choice, I cannot say enough positive accolades about this Hubitat community. There are soooo many smart devs and technical folks on the Hubitat train. If you are stuck, they will work you through it. I'm a big fan of an excellent service that I don't pay for. :wink:

Good luck!

1 Like

Not even just "away". I'm right on the property and reminded monthly how relying on Zigbee devices with a button/coin cell style battery in "winter temperatures" is a maintenance issue ...even if the device is otherwise protected.

Have been pretty happy with the larger battery devives however. I have Visonic security motions that have spanned years before needing new batteries. Even the one in the freezing cold garage.

If thinking about Texecom, have you looked at Orisec? Set up by the founder of Texecom & are in the factory more or less next door ! I’ve used Texecom premier elite for a few years & its good solid kit.