Air Things View Plus

Yes yes, I meant maybe you and Sebastian would also be interested in pitching in some funds to make it a little more worth while to one of the community developers to work on.

1 Like

Same for me - I wouldn’t know where to start to build a driver for it. One day maybe!

Looking over the API the only real hurdle appears to be getting some better documentation on the authorization flow/parameters (their examples appear to be in python which is one of the languages I’ve never really mastered beyond the simple ‘Hello World’). May be able to register the app and get an initial token though which would simplify that part. The rest is just a series of HTTP GET calls.

1 Like

@thebearmay - In case it is helpful (I have no idea if it is), someone over on HA was able to produce an Airthings integration that is posted here: Airthings - Home Assistant

1 Like

i was thinking of doing an integration .. need a radon sensor but at 200 bucks decided to hold off.

@thebearmay : I think (not sure)
The HA integration, and probably the easiest one to bring to HE, downloads data from the internet.
There is apparently an HE integration that does not require an internet connection, but does require a Raspberry Pi and other devices I don't understand. It collects info direct from the device via bluetooth. More info is here, in case it is helpful: Trying to get data from bluetooth into Hubitat: Ecosense RD200 Radon sensor - #4 by Chen555

Based on my experiments, the data from the Wave Plus to a phone goes like this:

1. User uploads the Airthings data, via bluetooth, from the local device to the Airthings app on a phone. For the device to communicate data to the phone app:
    a. The phone app must be registered to a username on Airthings.com
    b. Location services on the phone must be turned on
    c. The phone must be connected to either the internet via the phone's service or to a wifi network. HOWEVER, I can verify that the phone can be connected to a local wifi network that does not have an internet connection.
  • If connected to the phones internet service, or to a wifi network with internet, the data from the local app syncs with the Airthings Cloud and is available online on the airthings account. I suspect that is where the API pulls the data from.
  • If connected to a local wifi network that is NOT connected to the internet, obviously your data won't make it to the Airthings Cloud. But the data updates locally on the app, with updated dates, charts, averages, etc.

Yeah, you can sometimes get them less expensive on ebay.

Also about 2x year the Wave Plus goes on sale for about $170. The Wave Radon & View Radon may also go on sale, but since the Wave Plus ends up costing less on sale than the regular price of the radon devices...

At this point the View Plus may be the most useful of their devices since it has a readout and Radon. Here is a comparison printed before they came out with the View Radon:

ETA @kahn-hubitat : I stand corrected. The Wave Radon is $135 on Amazon right now..

1 Like

The API is written for the Air Things cloud which makes it a non-local implementation; the rPi bluetooth implementation would a completely local but has a few additional moving parts (but all of them appear to be in that post too).

1 Like

A Cloud integration would work as the information doesn’t necessarily require an immediate response. Knowing if there is a Radon issue could prompt turning on certain fans or a prompt to open windows. Same goes for the level of CO2 in a room.

If someone has a couple of minutes and can run a quick test and capture the logs (redact your password and email) for me:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/airthings/airThingsCntrl.groovy

Hoping I can go right to the token request, but hard to tell from their documentation. I tried using an account I set up but can't tell if I'm getting the denial due to not having any devices or if it doesn't like something else.

2 Likes

Looks like I’m also getting an error?

Thanks, it was worth a shot, but guess I’ll have to figure out the long way.

1 Like

Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like me to try!

I changed the URL on it, can you try one more time?

Added some additional code that has worked with other oAuth2 systems, if someone has the time to do a test and post/send me the logs (redacting password and user id please).

1 Like

Sorry, for some reason, I missed your message yesterday. Sorry about that…

Tried the latest code without oAuth enabled:

And with it enabled:

Doubting it, but we get anything in state.temp_token on the app status page?

1 Like

Don’t seem to even have state.temp_token… unless I’m not looking in the right spot…?

Didn’t think we’d gotten a return based on the log. Need to find some documentation on their authorization flow so that I’m not guessing.

1 Like

I have installed and run the test app and don't see any data values return - this you already know, but I would really like to have the AirThings integration with HE and am also willing to help test.

1 Like