Air quality due to Canadian wildfires

It's an Alexa's sensor so I would assume it's not local.

1 Like

Well just looked it up and it appears they are still burning but we should start to see better numbers this weekend as the direction of the plums will change.

Reminds me of fires in the late 90's in Florida. The office i worked in had to litterly calk around any seal they could to make the place workable. They even seal our patio door. Sorry for anyone impacted.

I think all of their air purifiers can be integrated. I know the ones i have can with my Govee integration. They use the Cloud API.

They only have one air quality monitor and I don't have it to know foe sure. Depending on how it presents information it may be able to be done though. I would just need the aprox $60 (42 right now actually) to get one to test and code for it if possible. If some does have one though i can give them directions on how to validate if it is possible.

Some 150 miles south of Baltimore, here. Indoor AQI is ok, but outdoor is orange. Going into red alert, later on, from what I've heard.

This is in my living room, but with the cooler days have had the windows open.

I don't know how much I trust the AQI it generates, but this is the highest I've seen PM2.5 since I got the sensor (Ikea sensor paired to hubitat) Bonus it works as a zigbee repeater!

Pittsburgh area here.

2 Likes

I use the AirThings air quality monitor which is cloud integrated. Works great!

I have the Indoor and Outdoor Air Gradient monitors. The nice about them is they are open source so it doesn't take much to have them update Hubitat via Maker API. I have the indoor one doing that already, I haven't taken the time to get the outdoor one doing that though. Maybe I will go after that this weekend.

1 Like

This is what Ecowitt said was going on inside my kitchen yesterday afternoon. Wouldn’t usually look like that unless we are cooking or doing something else that kicks up a lot of particulate matter.

2 Likes

Y'all need to google "Corsi-Rosenthal Box".

Um...

Source: AirNow.gov

Perhaps i shouls say has had minimal impact on the Carolinas. Here is the graph from AirGradient Online Dashboard for my Outside and Inside sensors.

Outside Sensor:

Seems to have maxed out yesterday around 60 in the am. Also since i first responded it has jumped by about 20ppm

Indoor Sensor:

Fortunately it has stated in the green. This is a far cry from the 200 the OP mentioned and that was my point. The fact my sensors never broke 62 means the impact here atleast hasn't been to bad. I suspect all of that that in yellow on that image though, may be elevated from where it would be without the wildfires up there, it isn't much.

1 Like

I'm in Pittsburgh. So far my kitchen sensor is still showing 0 (good) on the index.

1 Like

I’m in New Brunswick, Canada. We had fires to the east (In Nova Scotia) and to the west (Quebec), but have been lucky enough not to get any of the smoke. We did get quite a bit of rain for the past week though!

I'm in Ottawa Ontario.

Wednesday morning my AQI was reading 142 in my basement with the windows closed (normally it's 1 or 2).

3 Likes

Those are some nasty levels. Really unhealthy. We had thick orange air here on Vancouver Island last year from the Washington fires, just when my father in-law with COPD was visiting. Closing the house and running a portable HEPA helped tremendously to bring the PM 2.5 to safe levels, really fast.

I think people spend a bit too much on fancy air cleaners. Mine is not anything special. It’s just a Honeywell air filter. A large HEPA filter with a charcoal outer filter and fan. Not connected and not automated, just a filter. I would get something going. It’s not good for you to breathe that.

1 Like

Drove from near the Cape in Massachusetts to Virginia today (9th). According to the EPA's air now app we were mostly green with a some yellow the entire way. So much better than yesterday and the day before.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Exactly. Thanks for posting. Confirms that the “dumb” air filter I have is the preferred choice. No need to get fancy to breathe cleaner air. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Walking the 30 feet from the house to the car to drive to work was nasty.

I actually held my breath walking from my car to the entrance of the building I work in (my N95 masks were conveniently in the hallway at home :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ).

They are predicting a return of the smoke overnight and tomorrow, but not as bad as it was on Wednesday.

1 Like

Good price on this Honeywell air filter from Amazon.ca