Again with VLC Thing and Hubitat

Well, it's a driver. So, try pasting it in the right place and it might work better.

1 Like

Okay, I thought it was an app. Thanks.

Edit: I pasted it as a new driver and get this error:

"Cannot invoke method currentValue() on null object"

Edit: Disregard. I scrolled down on the page and saw the later version that was posted. That one saved successfully.

I have had to delete VLC Thing. I found it was causing problems with my Hubitat. Specifically, it was interfering with the Thermostat Scheduler and thermostat changes for away, home, and night modes. I'm not sure why this would be the case, but since removing it, my thermostat has started updating again properly. Is this something that others have noticed?

Hi StephenH I don't have a thermostat but I'm using two VLC at the same time and so far no problems with them.. everything work perfect here.

1 Like

Never a problem with anything and VLC Thing. May be a coincidence. You will only know by re-installing only VLC Thing and testing though. :grimacing:

I will wait a bit to make sure things are stable and then try again. The kicker may be that I am running 4 IP cameras on my network. The load of them recording video may be impacting things somehow. I may set up a separate computer for that function and remove that from the equation.

Edit: After removing VLC Thing and Big Talker and verifying that things were stable, I set up VLC Thing again. So far, it appears to be working properly and not interfering with normal operations.

1 Like

Follow-up: Since removing Big Talker and VLC Thing, then reinstalling VLC Thing, my voice notifications seem to be working okay and the thermostat scheduler seems to also be communicating properly as the scheduled changes are happening.

This is still with the four IP cameras recording via Motion. I am thinking of switching to Zonealarm though as it may be easier to set up for remote viewing.

Another follow-up: I had reinstalled VLC Thing. I started to experience the same problems with my thermostat not changing settings according to schedule. I removed VLC Thing again and the thermostat is again behaving properly.

I have no idea why VLC Thing is interfering with my thermostat but it is more important to have the thermostat functioning properly than to have the voice notifications that VLC Thing provides so VLC Thing is now removed completely.

I don't have a thermostat (here is not neccesary :slight_smile: ) and I don't know if it is zigbee, zwave or LAN device so maybe this is an stupid question for you:
Could be possible the thermostat and the VLCThing PC have the same IP on your network?

As I could see on the VLC driver all commands are send to one specific IP so the only way I think this can happend is if you have a duplicity of IPs there. Just check...

Thermostat is a Zen Zigbee edition. There is no conflict with IP addresses since I try to use reserved IP addresses for all devices that will stay in the house. I can't explain why it seems to be interfering, but things are stable without VLC Thing and unstable with it.

Are you an Amazon Echo owner? You can very easily do voice notifications there now via Alexa Routines.

No, and I have no intention of getting one of those or a Google device. I have no urge to put a microphone that may or may not be disabled even if switched off in my house. Sonos devices are way too expensive. I've seen a couple of WiFi speakers that seemed to be reasonable in price, but all of them had descriptions that make it look like they were tied to a cloud app., whether for setup only was not clear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.