After wasting a small fortune on hue lights, they’re kinda useless

Another option would be to keep the hue lights and replace the switches with button controllers. That way you can do more than just control the lights on that loop and you don't loose the option of customizing which lights are on and which are off for a given circuit like you do with a smart dimmer/switch.

At this point the Hue bulbs are sunk cost (you've already spent the money). So, if cost is a factor, swapping out 45 color bulbs for Caseta dimmers is going to be a pricey proposition. If you figure $85 for the hub and say 20 dimmers. That's a cost of close to $1K. Where replacing those 20 dimmer with pico remotes for example would only cost you $300 (including the price of the pro-bridge). Replacing with Hue dimmers would be about $500.

I believe the Hue wireless dimmer switch does that function. That’s what I’m planning to do. Will get some BR30 lightbulbs for the back porch and have the wireless dimmer switch for my wife to operate. No need for cable installation and it’s around $24 not bad.

When it works correctly - which is most of the time, but definitely not always.... :wink: I have two of them and had a less than perfect experience with them.

You just ruined my day :joy:

Eh, for the price it is worth a shot in any case.

1 Like

If you are buying more than 7 devices, the Picos are cheaper than the Hue dimmers, even when factoring in the pro-bridge. And they become EXTREMELY cheaper when you get up to the 15-20 device range.

I agree with your assessment on programmable bulbs.

Lutron is great. RadioRA 2 is a lot better IMO if you are going to use switches. It is more expensive than Caséta, but also more capable and looks better. If you're interested get a quote from paul@hankselectric.net. If you have neutral wires make sure to get neutral wire capable dimmers.

If you want Z-Wave, I find the Leviton dimmers to perform quite well, they don't look goofy, and are highly configurable too. Requires neutral wires.

1 Like

Consider the cost of a new Lutron bridge in that equation.

I am pretty sure @ryan780 did include the cost of the Lutron bridge... See his full statement below...

Best not to quote something out of context, IMHO. :wink:

Yup, I did factor that in. Otherwise the picos would be cheaper at 1 device since they are less than half the cost. :slight_smile: If you're interested in how I came up with that number, here's a table of the spreadsheet I used. I just happened to not have closed it yet (since I wasn't planning on save it. :wink: )

Pico
Startup $100.00
Per device $12.00 Per device cost
1 $112.00 $112.00
2 $124.00 $62.00
3 $136.00 $45.33
4 $148.00 $37.00
5 $160.00 $32.00
6 $172.00 $28.67
7 $184.00 $26.29
8 $196.00 $24.50
9 $208.00 $23.11
10 $220.00 $22.00
11 $232.00 $21.09
12 $244.00 $20.33
13 $256.00 $19.69
14 $268.00 $19.14
15 $280.00 $18.67
16 $292.00 $18.25
17 $304.00 $17.88
18 $316.00 $17.56
19 $328.00 $17.26

After updating the price of the hub, it is actually 8, not 7. I was using the old standard price for the hub of $85 in my original calculation.

4 Likes

That plus color temperature (i.e., shades of white, in case you weren't considering that) and the ability to control bulbs independently even if they are in the same circuit. Otherwise, yes, a smart switch will do just as well and (at least for multi-bulb circuits) usually for a lot less money. I don't use color much, but I really like adjustable color temperature depending on time of day, so I really like my Hue bulbs despite living somewhere where I could mostly use switches now. I know you said you're not comfortable hardwiring, but since you already have Hue I'd second the recommendation above to consider things like button devices if all you want are "switches." You don't need to hardwire--a switch cover plus a button control nearby would work, or some like the Osram/Lightify 2-button dimmer or Lutron Aurora can sit on top and effectively replace the switch but still provide access when need. Or, a Hue Dimmer paired natively to the Hue system is incredibly reliable; a Pico paired to Hubitat is also good though adds one or two other systems to the mix (but they're cheap in the long run and can fit in a standard decorator plate, as can the Eria that can pair directly to Hubitat, but I'm not happy with how long that thing takes to "wake up" if it hasn't been used recently; your luck may vary).

If money isn't an issue and you don't need bulb functionality, by all means use switches. Otherwise, just wanted to throw another voice in here that bulbs aren't that bad. :slight_smile: Mine are mostly automated anyway, so I rarely use switches except for unexpected circumstances.

1 Like

Oops. :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

No worries.

2 Likes

I realize I'm late to the party, but I find Hue to be useful in another way....solving pot light wiring issues.

I use HUE BR30 White Ambiance bulbs in the pot-lights in the "great" room. In my case, I have 8 pot lights, arranged in two arrays, 4 at the "front" of the room, and four at the "rear" of the room.

The problem is that I really need the 4 in the left of the room and the 4 in the right of the room to be connected. Unfortunately, without ripping holes in my ceiling and walls, I can't do that.

So. Instead, I've created 2 virtual rooms using Hue, and activate/deactivate them with a Samsung Button and/or rules.

However clever I am with switches, I can't create virtual arrays with a switch (even the redoubtable Lutron Caseta).

I also use Hue in old fashioned table lamps and uplights, as I can dim them in rules and scenes.

But generally, I agree, if I had wired the house right, I probably would have used standard LED bulbs in most of my light fixtures. I would likely still use hue bulbs in table lamps, but otherwise...no.

I do use Smart Switches with some of my Hue bulbs. Primarily to solve the turned off switch problem. For my outdoor fixtures that have Hue bulbs, I use a smart switch to ensure the outdoor lights are on, and then set the hue bulb to the right brightness or dimness after 30 seconds (to ensure the bulbs have reconnected).

S.

1 Like

This is cheapest option.
4buttons, dimmer
You can put it over your recent switch.
Upside:
Instant fix
No replacing any old parts keep your bulbs.
No installation, this will cover your old switch.
Down side:
decor may not match
Battery operated

No offense but, how is this cheap? Compared to hue dimmer or Pico?

Don't you need lutron hub for pico? That cost money.
I don't know about hue dimmer but this go directly on top of old switch so no installation expenses.040daf25ced7bec730601d7ce4fddcb086980375

Personally I see dedicated smart bulbs as accent/mode lighting. So things to set the mood / atmosphere or to react to mode changes, like outdoor motion, party lighting, etc. Don't think dedicated smart bulbs (regardless of brand/platform) are ideal for standard room lighting. Smart switches / or in-wall dimmers/switches are best paired with standard room lights IMO. G.

I already addressed the cost of the hub in an earlier question. And with these costing a full $5 more than the Hue dimmer, the Pico break even point is even lower. At 5 controllers you are spending more for the Sylvania than for the Picos, even when you factor in the price of the Hub. Plus the Picos fit on ordinary decora faceplates and have an extra button. All 5 buttons can be used for Push, Hold and Release on the Picos also.

I think is good he has all of these options,

I depend on the individual situation.
For example, I got Sylvania buttons at Lowes on sale for $5 each so your math doesn't apply to me, maybe doesn't apply to him either.
Maybe he does not want to or can't have another hub to connect.
Maybe getting electrician remove and put new switches is not realistic for him, slap button on top of the switch can be very appealing for some. Maybe he can change it himself.

As I said, more options are better than one and he can choose as he wishes.

I personally removed all "smart lighbulbs" long ago and replaced with Zigbee switches.
We never use colors, it looked tacky. All lightbulbs were moved to my tween kid room connected to the old smartthings hub where she can set her own individual automation, mostly controlled by the magic cube. All of them in multihead lamps connected thru hubitat outlets so I have still veto on/off.

The only place I left colorstrip is behind TV and colors are changed based on harmony remote scene and under beds as a nightlight.