Aeotec Range Extenders with C-5

Yes, but I'm guessing you will not need a repeater near the hub.

2 Likes

OK perfect. Ill start with the Two then. So 700 series chip will work even though I only have a C-5? I was under the impression that C-5 i only 500?

1 Like

A 700 device wil work fine on the C-5 -- z-wave is reliably backward compatible in that sense. Getting a 700 device is always nice for better future-proofing, so likely a good move :+1:

2 Likes

Order these, you have 30 days to try them. :wink:

Minoston 2 Pack

3 Likes

So I plugged in my Aeotec 6's. They flash red. I tried holding the button down for 20 seconds like it said but they continured to flash red. i ran an inclusion with hubitat for one of them just to see what would happen. And it worked. now the light is a solid red. And its showing up in hubitat. Log says that its active. The red light seems wrong to me. Red always means bad with electronics. am I missing something? only instructions I found was a PDF from 2017. Talking about the lights changing colors. maybe things are different now? Any help would be appreciated before I send these back.

Is there a way to know if these are working? I see it under devices

Use this driver from @srwhite. Be sure to click on the "Configure" button in the device page for your repeater after changing drivers.

1 Like

I think the real test is if the locks are working. You might try a Zwave Repair and see if that makes a difference. It can actually take a while for Zwave to change routing, so simply waiting might also be necessary.

What about the solid red light? Have you guys seen that before? The manual from 2017 says I’m supposed to get a greenlight

No clue. I don't have any of these. Assuming we are talking about the Aeotec Range Extender 6?

Do they show up in your Zwave Details and in Devices tab?

I think you can use that driver Aaiyar linked above to run a test of the device to see if it is communicating.

Maybe...?

From Amazon Q&A

It has a small light on the side of it. You can change its color to any color. Barely notice mine

Omg it says this no where In Their manual lol is that Definitly the aeotec extender 6 that you pulled that question from? The link only brings me to that question. If it is then my research is done and I have my answer. Thank you

Well it is Amazon, but yeah, upper left of the Q&A page is the link back:

The range extender 6 does not have a solid red light. The model before that did - the "Aeon Labs DSD37-ZWUS Repeater".

Are you sure you have the Aeotec Range Extender 6?

This is the DSD37-ZWUS.

This is the Range Extender 6.

1 Like

No I have the first model number you just listed. Wtf is the difference? Their were sold as repeaters I bought ri t three of them on eBay with no return policy. Awesome

Which one do I need for my locks

Makes sense based on the red light.

It is a z-wave device, unlike the Range Extender 6, which is a z-wave+ device. The DSD37 is restricted to 40 kbps. The RE6 and RE7 do 100 kbps.

They are beaming repeaters. While they "should" work for your lock, I would not have recommended purchasing them to build a repeating backbone because they are capped out at 40 kbps. So, even if your locks (and future device purchases) are z-wave+ devices, any communication through these repeaters is going to slow things down.

2 Likes

Actually I just checked and one is range extender the other 2 are the repeaters.
I was told beaming repeater is what I wanted. Something to do with the locks not always listening and battery draw. So is the red light normal? Or should I throw these in the trash? If not I have two locks.

Should I wouel the extender near the hub and repeaters near each lock?

Sure.

However, as I have indicated a couple times earlier, the best positioning would be to place a repeating device approximately 1/3rd the distance from the hub to each lock. It is extremely unlikely you need three. Two would suffice.

It is also better to place them between the hub and the lock than right next to the lock. This is because z-wave routing algorithms prefer the shortest hop possible. If you put the repeaters right next to the lock, the hub may not use the repeaters at all.

1 Like

Ok thank you. When you said makes sense about that red light, so that’s normal for repeater? 40kb vs 100 I want the damn lock to open and close Wynn lites a button. And I can live with a millisecond delay . Tbey work now without the repeaters in place they’re just intermittent

In theory putting the repeaters in place should fix this issue. Why not use the RE6 for one lock and the DSD37 for the other. It will be interesting to learn if both locks are reliably controlled.

Anyway, after placing the repeaters in their final location, you should do a z-wave repair.

1 Like