Aeotec Range Extender 7 - No Security

1. Aeotec Range Extender 7 supports S2. I have two of them. One was previously paired with S2 but the second one will not.
  2. Expand on that, please...as in how to resolve that.

Update: Note I've now had to remove the one that was previously paired with S2. When adding it back, it too has done the same thing where it offers to include with security, but when I select that option it does not ask for the PIN. I'm beginning to think that this is not an device issue but a HUB issue.

And what security pairing do you end up with?

I thought it was rather clear: NONE

Remove it from hubitat, factory reset it (Press and hold the Z-Wave Button for 20 seconds to completely factory reset your Range Extender 7. )

Then use your phone to pair with the QR code on the extender and see if it pairs with S2 then

1 Like

Okay, thanks, That was a useful reminder. I did try from the phone originally, but forgot that you have to go through the zwave tools rather than the basic Add Device process to get to the QR code.

1 Like

I have two suggestions, if I may.

1. I wouldn't include the repeater with S2, it will only drag down mesh performance.
  2. I would use the official method of inclusion provided by Aeotec:
1 Like

Is this not required for "security" devices, like a garage door opener, that would utilize the repeater?

No.

Repeaters merely repeat a packet.

5 Likes

It's probably not that important either way. S2 will only affect mesh performance when using the native functions of the RE7: range test, setting either the power level or indicator light. Most people won't make repeated use of these functions post install/configure, and S2 has no effect on repeated packets so it's not much of a difference.

In short, if you are setting up new RE7s, I recommend enrolling them without S2. But if they are already in the network with S2, it's not worth the disruption to exclude and re-include them to get rid of S2.

1 Like

How do you set transmit power?

The device page (my driver) has power settings for the RE7. See below. The default power level is full power, so you can only reduce power output. Note also that the reduced power level is temporary and times out after a maximum of 255 seconds (this is how Z-Wave powerlevelSet works). The purpose of temporary reducing power is to support reliability testing of the install location.

2 Likes

Thanks. I feel like I've already added and re-added enough at this point that I'm tempted to reset my radio and start over with everything. I don't have that many z-wave devices at this point, so it might just be better to do this and clean up everything.