Aeotec Range Extender 6

Anyone got this working? I can't tell if it's working or not :relieved:

@bf1 sorry I haven't been on the forum in ages. it did, but, it didn't extend the range far enough to reach my shed so I'm no longer using it.

How did you tell it was working? My led stays red...

The led blinks green when its repeating messages according to the manual. it should be mostly off. You can press and hold the button until it goes purple, then release and it will show you signal strength by color, green good red bad etc.

I would say a solid red led is bad. Try holding the button for over 20 sec to factory reset the device. Then re-pair it.

Refresh will tell you if its talking or not.

Well What do you know. That did the trick. It seems to be working. I will keep and eye on it.
Thank you.

Will this pair securely? Manual says press button quickly 2 times within 1 second (Range Extender 6 user guide. : Aeotec Group)

Manufacturer: 0086
Product Name: Device
Model Number: Unknown Part Number
deviceTypeId: 109
nodeId:38
deviceId:0075
manufacturer:0086
deviceType:0104
inClusters:0x5E,0x26,0x33,0x70,0x85,0x59,0x72,0x86,0x7A,0x73,0x98,0x5A
outClusters:null

Probably, if you change the Secure Join setting in Settings -> Zwave details to all devices.

I wouldn't do that though, as there is no good reason for it to pair securely anyway. At least none I can think of/know of.

Can it repeat secure zwave signals (like locks) if it’s not paired securely?

Locks use beaming, I believe.

Yes
Envelope and letter.. the letter can be encrypted, the envelope, wouldn't be. Same for ZWave (and Zigbee) routing is just looking at the 'envelope.'

1 Like

As long as the repeater supports beaming (which this one does) it supports locks - regardless of how the repeater is paired. Pairing securely is something completely different from, and independent of, beaming.

2 Likes

Does this device support beaming? Edit: looks like it does from amazon comments, if you can trust those.

Hubitat support said my mesh could benefit from a few repeaters, so this is what I ended up with, but if they don’t help with the locks (which I’m having issues with), not sure why they’d recommend repeaters.

The aeotec website also says this, but they may be saying this because consumers won’t understand the envelope/letter concept... seems misleading though

I did find this comment on the device, so I’m wondering if I should change my zwave setting to secure join for all devices and try to re-add these?

Thanks for the help guys.

This has already been answered. No you should not join that securely. Don't believe everything you read in an Amazon review...

There are MANY repeaters that support beaming, and do not support SO... And work fine with locks.

But in the end it is up to you, and should probably work either way.

Of course when joined securely every message takes up to three times the bandwidth of a non-secure message, but on this type of device it is probably not sending many messages back to the hub anyway over the secure messaging path.

The 'up to 3x the bandwidth' only applies to the communication between the hub and end device (so in this case between the hub and the repeater device itself). Repeated messaged are what they are - they don't get "converted" from non-secure to secure because they went through a repeater that is securely joined.

1 Like

Got it! Appreciate the info!

From the published Technical Specifications for the device (at Range Extender 6 technical specifications. : Aeotec Group )

And -

Yuck. No NWI support.... Hmm... That doesn't sound right.

Edit: Weird. From Z-Wave.com description for this device:
This smart home repeater supports Z-Wave explorer frames which allows for network wide inclusion (nwi) and dynamic route discovery for other Z-Wave products that support explorer frames.

Did you know this is 2-year old thread that you responded to? And @JDRoberts hasn't been active here since December of 2018.

@bobbyD - perhaps this thread could be closed?