[update] Aeotec Nano with no load - things are slow, wondering if I should add dummy load

So I have a bunch of Sengled recessed lights in our den. For "reasons" I need to control them via a normal switch but NOT connected to the load. I've successfully added the Nano and it paired and works but is terribly slow. Takes about 5-7 seconds to react to a physical switch change. I do hear the relay click almost immediately though. I've added some Z-Wave repeaters, run a repair or two, rebooted, soft reset but no go. There is nothing in the logs for the rule or device to indicate a problem.. just on off messages/events.

Now I am wondering if there is some sort of minimum load requirement (usually you see this in Dimmers). I do have an Aeotec Load Resistor that I am thinking about hooking up - running it from the "out" to neutral.. Does it make sense to try this or will I spark joy everywhere... :zap::scream::zap:

Note1: I have a samsung button that also controls the lights and the response is immediate. Both are zigbee of course.

Note2: Originally I tried Aeotec Dual (cause I actually need 2 no-load switches) and it was slow, then tried the Qubino Dual and it was slow, then went to individual Nanos and they are slow. All similar behavior - the dual switches were more sporadic in their delays..

Note3: I do have other Z-wave stuff on this hub including an old Aeon Micro switch with load (controls some sconces) that is working fine and turns on some other sengled lights in fixtures in about second or two which is acceptable.

Just a followup - when I click on/off from the device in the UI - it seems a little faster (hard to tell perception-wise) but there is still a significant delay. Also the delay does seem to vary from time to time sometimes faster sometimes slower.

For anyone who is interested went ahead and installed an Aeotec Dummy load module to a "power only" Aeotec Nano switch - connecting from the "out" to the "neutral" Switch. The result while still slow seemed to be a bit more responsive.

Because my 3 gang outlet box was really crowded decided to put the dual switch back in. Tried the Qubino but it was not responsive. Tried the Aeotec and it worked.

Things appear to be working better - not great but better. Getting 3 second response times for on/off switching instead of 6+ seconds. Also seems more reliable but have not tested it enough to be sure.

I don't think I would recommend this as a solution. I do have some Zooz switches for our upstairs hallway light that are "power only" and those have been working really well. For this purpose due to WAF concerns I needed to keep the original toggles.

As an extra bonus I only managed to fry one device - a qubino relay that I hooked up the out and neutral directly with no resistance.. mmmm... crackly....

1 Like