Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 sporadic contact status

Thank you everyone for looking into this and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. I have excluded and re-included the sensor and remounted it. So far so good, with door contact open and closing reporting fine. I have also ordered z-wave-plus-aeotec-range-extender-6 to hopefully improve any signalling issues. I dont' have any repeaters currently in my home, so perhaps having one or two is useful to have.

I also think the sensor led flashing may not be a reliable indication of contact sensor detecting opening/closing. I played around with the the alignment of the magnetic and in some cases the led would flash when opening and closing but no notification received. by moving it slightly, the led would again flash but this time would generate open/close notifications.

1 Like

Doctor recommended :wink:
Actually this is very sound advice for any low-power mesh network such as Z-Wave and Zigbee.

Distance between nodes is not always the criteria for adding more nodes in a network. The Z-Wave radio signals may bounce off metal objects like mirrors or appliances and cause two nodes that are only a few feet apart be completely unable to talk to each other due to reflections of the radio signals. Adding more nodes in the mesh provide alternate routes to nodes that otherwise might be in a dead zone due to these reflections cancelling out the radio signals.

1 Like

If you plan to build out a z-wave mesh it's highly recommended to have plenty of powered devices to be repeaters.

My preference are in wall outlets. People can't remove them to plugin something else.