Aeon Multisensor 6 - ultravioletIndex?

Hello,

Just noticed that the ultra-violet measurement is not working on my sensors, Is this normal?
I have tried the OOTB driver plus a community one but its will the same.

Anyone also also noticed this?

My MultiSensor 6 are running with the last firmware: 1.13

Same here. Reported only zero.

Yeah not working. It would be great to have for the roller shutter automation. Iluminance is not a stat to depend on.

Could someone add uvindex variable?

Hi @LeDo, @frits, @syepes. I remember reading elsewhere that windows are blocking the UV rays. When the person opened their window and put their sensor pointing outside it started reporting UV.

Yup. My low-e windows let through about zero UV, as measured on a dedicated UV meter I use for energy studies at work. Every window is different though.

Controlling off UV is OK if your main goal is reducing solar input to the house. It is obviously counter (many times) to how one uses lux to control a shutter, though.

So you have to decide what you are going for I guess.

1 Like

Wow, that I didn't think of that. As a welder (hobby) I should've known! Damn.

Mine is outside. And it's not that I don't get a reading but you cannot control anything in hubitat with that uv value. Iluminance is not always a good measure how much energy could be gained:)

Mine is outside as well. Always reports Zero even after changing "Lux reporting threshold" to 1 from 100. I assume Lux is for illuminance, but changed it just trying "anything".

Has anyone seen this sensor report UV different than zero? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks everyone.

Todd

Unlike the other values sent by the Multisensor6, UV is just some arbitrary range, as far as I can tell.

• Measured humidity range: 20%RH to 90%RH.
  • Humidity Accuracy: ±3%RH (at 25°C/77°F).
  • Lighting: 0 LUX to 30000 LUX.
  • UV Range: 0 to 10 UV index

0 to 10. That's a small range compared to LUX. :slight_smile:

Additionally, the sensor is behind a small hole, and the UV has to hit it directly. Therefore, directionality is a factor. Can't be behind a UV filter, such as a glass window, or aimed at a poor UV reflector. I have one outdoors ( where I care about LUX, so I can detect "gloomy days") and it's under an eave (no direct light) and pointing at my front door, thus achieving double duty for Package Delivery. But the concrete walkway is a poor UV reflector. During the mornings the walkway is in it's own shadow and there's not a chance of UV.

Aeon notes:

The UV Sensor is most likely not able to read any UV readings indoors, most UV rays are absorbed by windows, therefore limiting the UV index to around 0. If you want to see UV readings, you must open the window, and leave the sensor pointed upwards underneath the open window or temporarily place it outdoors to gather UV readings.

Right now I have it sitting outside,on the middle of a picnic table, by itself, no shade, pointed straight up on sunny day right now. No clouds. My readings for the last few hours (like always) show zero. temp went up, etc...but no UV. :frowning:

I should say, straight up on it's swivel mount...so the back of it is not touching the table.

I took one of mine and put it outside facing straight up, in the sun :smiley:

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.44.59 PM

The Multisensor 6 itself is on v1.13 firmware.

1 Like

I am on 1.12...I'm trying to update firmware now. Keeps getting stuck on "padding hex bytes...".

I brought it in the house, removed the batteries and plugged it into a 2 amp USB plug. I am using "Z-Wave Firmware Updater" by djdizzyd from here:

The update URL I am trying is:
https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6085201263
From their update page:

When I say "stuck" I mean I gave it a couple hours...gave up, reboot Hubitat and unplugged/re-plugged the 6 sensor and tried again...and it has been sitting at padding hex for some hours again...after quickly saying a bunch of stuff like "download", etc.

Any other good way to update firmware?

Thanks in Advance,
Todd

My logs...it seems this tool thinks the device is not able to update it's firmware. Does anyone have a reasonable way to update the firmware?

dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:06.946 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method and() on null object on line 461 (firmwareStore)
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:06.917 pm infofirmware total bytes: 0
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:06.914 pm infoSorted all the bytes. cleaning up some memory...
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:06.816 pm debugpacking all the bytes...
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:05.615 pm debugfirmwareMdReport: checksum 40714 firmwareId: 0 manufacturerId: 134 maxFragmentSize: null firmwareTargets: null
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:05.613 pm debugFirmwareMDReport: FirmwareMdReport(manufacturerId:134, firmwareId:0, checksum:40714, firmwareUpgradable:false, numberOfTargets:null, maxFragmentSize:null, firmwareIds:[])
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:04.917 pm infoVersionReport- applicationVersion:1.12
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:04.916 pm infoVersionReport- zWaveProtocolVersion:4.54
dev:1682020-05-29 06:45:04.268 pm infoFirmwareUpdateMd version:2
dev:1682020-05-29 06:44:46.938 pm infoVersionReport- applicationVersion:1.12
dev:1682020-05-29 06:44:46.937 pm infoVersionReport- zWaveProtocolVersion:4.54	

Thanks everyone,
Todd

Did you post that on the firmware updater thread? The developer probably won't see it here.

No (didn't put my post on the z-wave firmware update tool thread). My bad. I am guessing it is a noob (me) problem with the firmware file format incorrect or something similar. I red-necked it by plugging a Aeotec Gen 5 USB stick into my Windows machine, including it into my Hubitat controlled z-wave network, then used Aeotec's windows app to upgrade the firmware.

I am running 1.13 now.

Now it is dark. So I will see what the UV readings are tomorrow, although (here in Seattle) it is supposed to pour with rain.

Todd

PS Converted from Wink, 2 weeks ago. Hubitat "feels" so so much better. I can do so much more and see more of what is going on with the debug logs.

Updated to 1.13 firmware, no help. Also my temp is 20 degree's off (corrected in Hubitat)...I am thinking this is a bum sensor, not a software problem.

If anyone has a thought on a software solution, please drop it here.

Thanks,
Todd

And close to 2 days later (after firmware update) it is now reading 8 UV facing straight up at the sun. Better than zero. :slight_smile: who knows. Problem solved?

Thanks everyone for slogging through a noob's troubles.

Todd

1 Like

I guess I can retire my experiment now :smiley:

Final reading:

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 12.21.25 PM

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.