Aeon Hem ...Cost?

Query,

How does the driver calculate cost to me when there is no option to input the unit valve of electricity?

The built in driver doesn't support cost, this attribute is not part of any standard capability. Some other device is/has generated this event.
I'm also confused as "Aeon Home Energy Meter" is a driver for a Z-Wave device, but the Device Network Id of the device in the above screen capture is not a Z-Wave Id.

1 Like

I just wrote something in Rule machine to display mine. But we have a flat rate energy cost that does not vary on usage like many places do so it was pretty simple for me.

I don't believe there is any built in function to do that. This is my dashboard from my pantry where the HEM is located. It's connected to the main circuit panel, so it's a whole house monitor.

Hub Connect Virtual Device maybe?

S.

@Kev
It depends on the version of the HEM
I have a driver which supports all the features of the hem (inc cost where you set the unit cost)
I’ve also added sending a pushover with the accumulated cost for the month.
Unfortunately, it may only work with the gen 2 (DSB 28 - 60amp single clamp)
You are welcome to try it if you wish, just let me know
You may be able to use it as a basis for your version if you don’t have a gen 2

Andy

In that case, you'd still need HubConnect driver, not a Z-Wave driver, on the "receiving" hub, which this would be if that DNI is indeed a result of that. So, OP, I would fix that problem, too. :slight_smile: I'm not sure if there's a specific HubConnect driver with the exact commands and attributes you want, but if not, it does support custom drivers. The question in that case would be then back on the real hub for where the "cost" attribute value comes from (an event, but how?) unless you happen to have written a virtual/HubConnect driver that generates this event yourself for some reason.

Hi Terminal 3. You have achieved exactly what i have been looking for but don't have the brains to work out. Can i ask how you created the tile that calculates the cost? I too have a fixed electricity cost and have displayed the power and energy but need to calculate the cost. Thank you

Screenshots of the the two rules I use are below. The first, HEM - Whole house energy cost display, sets a hub variable, SubEnergy, with the current energy value from the HEM. Note, this is a virtual energy meter that gets it's value from the actual energy meter. I do this because I have had a few occasions where the HEM got shut down or hung up and I can add a offset value to the virtual HEM for the time it was shutdown.

In fact I just had to use this as my access point to the Hub that runs the HEM went offline on the evening I reset my values. All my rules run on a separate hub and the hub mesh was down so the energy value of the HEM didn't get reset at midnight on the 28th. That is when my power company starts their new billing cycle . I noticed it the next morning. After I got everything up and going again and manually reset the HEM it had about 7 or 8 hours that got missed. Luckily my energy company has a website that shows hourly, daily, and monthly energy usage. My HEM is always within about 0.5KWH of what they show, So I always have that backup to verify with. It tuned out that over that down time, I used 6 KWH of power, which I add to the virtual HEM whenever it gets updated with the actual HEM energy value..

This first rule then runs a second rule, HEM - Whole House Energy Cost Formatter, This rule then updates another hub variable, SubHEmCost, with the formatted cost string. That variable is then written to another Hub variable, HomeEnergyCost.

The HomeEnergyCost variable is what I display on the dashboard. You may say two routines is not necessary, and you would be right. The cost formatter was originally used for setting energy cost for individual devices in my home as well. That routine gets called by all the individual energy devices I track and I worried I would have too many things calling this one routine. So I cloned the rule and tailored this one for just the whole house. I could incorporate it into a single rule but I just left it the way it was.

Couple of other things to note. KWHCost is a hub variable that sets current $/KWH, BaseRate is another Hub variable which shows the flat fee that gets charged from our energy company each month. I have these on another dashboard so I can change them as necessary without having to update the rule. I wrote the formatter rule some time ago and there may be easier ways to do it now, There have been many updates to RM since then, Hopefully this will help you setup your own.

2 Likes

Thank you ! this is perfect and i now have it working on ActionTiles. Never thought id get this working. :slight_smile:

2 Likes