Advice on Rule

Add another rule to turn off when closed. Rules are efficient. The simpler the rule the better.

Doesn’t my original one rule trump 2 rules. The original is not very complex.

I don't really know how to describe this really well but having one rule that does 10 things vs 10 rules that do one thing each, the simplest small rules will generally work better.

Big rules are fine if used sparingly, but you can get carried away easily and saturate your mesh.

Ok. Thank you guys for the responses. I did get my question answered and learned something else along the way. By the way I do a lot of Motion Lighting apps also. Keep them as simple as I can.

If you want to dig into it in depth check out hub stats.

I changed it to this and it works well

Thanks again.

1 Like

Don't get me wrong, I use RM4.

I just wanted to make sure the other apps aren't getting overlooked. A lot of the time it's much easier for new peeps to get rocking and rolling with little effort.

1 Like

Glad you got it working

Sorry we hijacked your thread.

There is a lot of informative and entertaining hijacking going on here. I’ve gotten pretty use to it.

1 Like

Kind of surprised @danabw hasn't poked his head in here yet to completely derail the thread yet.

i am not sure what you are trying to do.. if you want the light on whenever the door is open and turn off when it closes after 5 minutes.. explain more. this rule will not keep the light on if the door never closes and only opens once.. is everyone missing that?

Shhhh....be vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits!

3 Likes

Re-read the first post, and you'll see that is the desired outcome: on when opened, off when closed, but also off if it stays open for more than 5 minutes. (You are correct that this is not what you would to do turn the light off 5 minutes after the door is closed, which is probably an automation we see far more often.) Aside from not needing the "Cancel Wait," as mentioned above, I agree with the above that it looks good!

EDIT: From the below I could actually read this both ways now, but I guess what matters is whether the OP figured it out. Seems like they have, but we'll see later if not, I guess. :smiley:

1 Like

thats not my interpretation.. it said
.> But if the door is left open the light goes out any way in 5 minutes.
> Does the cancel wait do anything?

that impies to me he did not want the light to go out if the door is left open.

it could mean that he is complaining about that or that is what he wants.. depending on how you read it.. that is why i am asking.

OK, this is it. What I want is for the light to come on when the door is opened and light off when the door is closed. But if I accidentally leave the door open the light should go out in 5 minutes. I was just inquiring about the cancel wait because after I put it in the rule I was concerned that it was needed but then when I reread the rule it looked to me like it really did nothing at all.
The rule works well after testing. Thanks

5 Likes

Yeah, your rule makes complete sense.
We don't all live in houses where people close doors every time they are done with something :joy::joy:

1 Like

Problem is that it is my closet. I am those people.

3 Likes

you could also add a notification rule as i do for most of my doors. after 20 minutes warning xxx left open via text and alexa.

1 Like

That would insta trigger the wife.

1 Like